Users who are viewing this thread

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
View attachment 28420
I will report my temperature readings when I have the system back online. I may try to listen for flow at the valves tomorrow as the water heater will be delivered Tuesday.
It was and likely still is code where I live to have CPVC that close to the tank on a electric water heater. Here is what the CPVC which was the closest to the tank. I will have to check before I install it and get inspected. The bottom one is on the output side and the top one is the inlet side. Both are badly discolored and the output side chipped on the inside when I cut it. I may go with 20" of copper line before I switch over to CPVC. Not sure if I like the sound of flex lines as that sounds like a weak point. Just not something I have any knowledge of using. In fact, I am not sure if I really like coated PVC, but that is for another day.

you are making too big a deal out of this... its just a lekaing water heater
ALL cpvc pipe made today is junk and gets brittle throughout the home over time..

just install the new water heater with 2 black brass craft 24 inch flex lines and
buy yourself 2 3/4 sharkbite male adaptors to go on the cpvc and you are done

also if you have a plumber install this for you.... keep out of his hair......

Kat Cali

Reaction score
image.jpg

Hi! I just found out our heater is leaking water from top. Looks like its been like ths for months. last time I check our heater is in October. And it wasnt like this. Do I need to turn it off? Do you think our water heater needs replacement?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 274

rick52768

Reaction score
Wow, looks like there are many things wrong with this picture. Tape that is peeling from the draft diverter, no pipe on the pressure relief valve, leakage due to corroding connections of the water lines and what looks to be a corroding shut off valve. There could be more that is wrong, but you need a professional to help you out. I would not want to give you the wrong advise as it looks unsafe for many reasons, but have someone check it out soon. I wish you well.

Reach4

Reaction score
Kat Cali, Do you see water up there now? If not, I would watch it. Next time you get a good rain, I would watch it again to see if water is coming in from the vent. I am not a pro, obviously. ;)

Your T+P relief valve should have a pipe that carries the water to wherever it is required in your area. That may be close to the floor, or maybe outside if you don't get freezing. This is a good job for galvanized pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks