Average usage between Softner and Utility bill way off

Users who are viewing this thread

BillEbob

Reaction score
My water softner says I use around 130 gallons per day on average and my water bill states 200 per day. Could there be that much of a difference? As I understand it the outside faucets and sprinkler system wouldn't be reflected on the softner but I'm not using any outside water other then to spray off the dog's muddy paws in January.

House is 2 years old and was pre plumbed for softner. Kenmore Elite Softner. No noticable leaks from street to home. Sprinkler line is turned off and drained for winter.

Thanks for any information.

GarytheWaterGuy

Reaction score
My water softner says I use around 130 gallons per day on average and my water bill states 200 per day. Could there be that much of a difference? As I understand it the outside faucets and sprinkler system wouldn't be reflected on the softner but I'm not using any outside water other then to spray off the dog's muddy paws in January.

House is 2 years old and was pre plumbed for softner. Kenmore Elite Softner. No noticable leaks from street to home. Sprinkler line is turned off and drained for winter.

Thanks for any information.
Each time your water softener regenerates it uses about 70- 80 gallons of water that would not be recorded by the water softeners meter. Likely that is the primary source of the discrepancy.

Reach4

Reaction score
Another water use that is not metered by the softener is the water used for regeneration. That would not account for 70 gallons per day of course. That could be 70 gallons for a regen, but you do not regen every day.

Some people have the cold faucet in the kitchen piped to use unsoftened water.

But I suspect your metering turbine/paddle-wheel is probably under-reporting.

BillEbob

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the quick responses. I did have to unstick that turbine paddle wheel thingy when I first installed the softner. I went a long time with no regens and when I call the service center they walked me thru the process of getting to it and giving it a push. I'll just chalk it up to under-reporting and regens.

Thanks for the info.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks