Any Downsides to Stop Waste Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
It's still the dead of winter but I wanted to modify one of my outside spigots.
Instead of a frostproof valve, I'm planing to just cut off the existing shutoff that is inside and swap with one that is stop waste -- in essence/pratice, it would be used to allow air into the system so the line will purge.

Any downsides to this ?
I see they also make a valve with a 1/4 drain port on it

Reach4

Reaction score
The downsides would that when it might freeze, you would have to go into the basement to turn off the valve. If you just have a drain port, you have to open that, let it drain-- maybe into a bucket, and then cap the drain again. With the stop waste valve, from what I read, it drains automatically when you shut the valve off. You still have to deal with the drained water. Then you have to turn the valve back on when you want to use the spigot again.

With the frost proof valve, you have to turn off the valve, and remove the hose. The draining happens outside. Then just turn on the spigot when you want to use water.

An advantage of an inside valve is that you can keep others, perhaps children, from turning your water on.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Only if you forget to shut the valve off and drain the sillcock back. Make sure the sillcock and it's pipe pitch back toward the stop and waste

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What do you see as the "down side" of frost-free valves? Stop and waste have been around for generations, and they work great for the job they are made for. Frost-free valves work extremely well for the job they are made for. So what do you see as the "up side" of stop and waste?

Chefwong

Reaction score
I never said there was a downside to a FF sillcock. Just too damm cold for a outdoor project this time of year.
I DO want to start om this particular line, hence adding in the stop waste valve to the line is a easy swap in itself.

BTW, the line run goes up vertical and then horizontal outdoors.
Does the Stop Valve work just as effective in the vertical part of the run, or best to get it on the horizontal run going out..

Chefwong

Reaction score
Only if you forget to shut the valve off and drain the sillcock back. Make sure the sillcock and it's pipe pitch back toward the stop and waste

Always shut off the valves around xmas time when it starts getting cold...

Just was not sure about those auto-drain valves versus the more common (or at least common to me) stop waste valves

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Woodford makes some frost-free sillcock versions that will drain even if you leave a hose on (when installed properly). The vast majority of that type of valve only works if you remove the hose first. With both horizontal and vertical sections of pipe in an external wall, unless the horizontal is sloped properly, things may not drain, and if the vertical portion could also freeze, you'd have to move the shutoff lower. That could be a lot of water to deal with, but it may only be once a year. It's much more convenient to not have to turn two valves on to get water outside, and, you could use it on a warmer day in the winter to rinse off the car and not have to worry about it.

Note also, at least a few companies make frost-free sillcocks where you can plumb hot water to them. Might make washing the dog, or rinsing yourself off after using the pool more comfortable, as it could washing the car. I know at least Moen and WOodford make one like that. Makes it more complex, but if hot is also available nearby, may be a nice upgrade!

Chefwong

Reaction score
Woodford is my preferred FF spigot brand BUT per the OP, I'm not looking to do a FF conversion at this time.

I'm not sure if by putting the SW valve on the vertical portion, and by venting the line when the valve is closed, will the entire line vent free. In theory, I'm thinking yes to some effect, as a good portion of the water in the pipe will either drain out through the spigot or ~inside~

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm not sure if by putting the SW valve on the inside portion, and by venting the line when the valve is closed, will the entire line vent free. In theory, I'm thinking yes to some effect, as a good portion of the water in the pipe will either drain out through the spigot or ~inside~
You presume that you also open the spigot outside after closing your SW valve. You also want to be sure the pipe does not sag significantly. You also are not concerned any code that might call for the frost free spigot. Your pipe is not going to get freeze damage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks