Electric NG valve for outdoor kitchen

Users who are viewing this thread

Dgold

Avoid DIYer
Reaction score
Hi there.

Immediately after the 3/4" gas supply shutoff ball valve for my outdoor BBQ island, I'd like to install a 24v gas valve - I'm thinking something similar to what's in a water heater or furnace, but simpler. The ball valve is located underneath the sink. For pure laziness sake, I'd really like to leave it open, and be able to just flip a conveniently located switch to supply gas to my fancy new 75K BTU (max) grill.

My thought was to wire it as follows: 120v > switch > 24v transformer > gas valve

...and to plumb it like this: 3/4 ball (existing, & leave in for service / redundancy) > electrically operated valve > 3/4" union > 3/4" galvanized bits and pieces > the grill's NG regulator

Any issue with doing this?

Any recommendations on where I mind find such a valve? The valves I've seen for furnaces all have a built in regulator, and I'm concerned that only adds cost and complexity, and potential pressure drop issues.

Open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

David

Ps.. Not completely sure if I posted this in the right place, I figured HVAC would be best due to it being a natural gas question. Apologies in advance if it's in the wrong place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks