Are rubber donuts to transition from cast iron to PVC allowed in PA

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr Blint

Reaction score
Are rubber donuts that fit into the XH cast iron hub and transition to 3" PVC allowed in Pennsylvania?

http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/donuts-o-rings/donuts

I am trying to have a fallback position if my attempt to replace a corroded cast iron toilet flange and a corroded section of waste pipe causes damage to the closet elbow, and I then have to remove a much larger section of cast-iron pipe and replace it with PVC.

BTW, it's a separate small branch of cast iron waste pipe that serves a 1st floor powder room only; there's no weight resting on it from the plumbing in upper storeys of the house.

Thanks

Attachments

• SinkWaste.JPG
    SinkWaste.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 790

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If it is properly sized and installed, it would pass inspection anywhere. Finding one that fits and seals in an old hub can be problematic, as there was no standard for the I.D. of a hub which was produced for a leaded joint.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The key is finding one the right size. Most plumbing supply houses only carry one or maybe two (for the 'normal' and 'heavy duty' hubs common in your area). The manufacturer has a whole raft of them in incremental sizes to fit various foundry's hubs. Careful measurement and getting the right one is crucial. It may need to be ordered, which can be a major pain, as the supply house often has to buy a case, and they may not be willing to. If that's the situation, you may need to try to buy the right one online. One with the OD too small won't seal, and one with an OD too big might not be able to be wedged in place. Just like in Goldilocks...you want it just right.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks