WaterGroup STF20-860 Program dial not moving

Users who are viewing this thread

dss_cottage

Reaction score
No need to remove the meter from the system if you can remove the (4) screws #1 in your drawing. This will allow you to remove the meter dome. The "restrictor" is not that at all, it is a flow straightener which allows for more accurate flow readings with shorter distances. Without it the accuracy of the meter is less than it should be.

Not sure how relieving pressure would fix your systems pressure drop, sounds like you have a different problem going on, possibly bad resin. Not uncommon in mixed Anion/Cation beds, the anion resin causes precipitation issues if it is exposed to hardness ions, in a mixed bed system the hard water hits the anion bed first which typically sits on top of the cation bed, exactly backwards of how it should be.

The flow restrictor you are mentioning sounds more like a drain line flow restrictor that would limit the water to the drain. Flow restrictors for water treatment systems are commonly used but they are usually installed externally, not internally to the equipment.

Try watching the meter for a few days, does it count down or does it stay in the exact same spot? Try removing the 4 screws and checking the paddle wheel, and the body where the paddle wheel turns, let us know what you find.

Thank-you again for the help.
I've been diverted today (Monday) so I won't get to it until Tuesday.

I'll do exactly as you and Bannerman suggest. It will be a little awkward but I believe that I can access the 4 screws.

I'll post back with my results.

dss_cottage

Reaction score
I've just returned from attempting a fix.

The impeller appears to be moving freely and I didn't find anything in the meter body that might have been preventing the impeller from moving. The flow straightener was also free and clear. Therefore, I don't believe that I have fixed anything. Incidentally, after reassembling the meter body, I ran the water for several minutes and I couldn't see the cable attached to the impeller rotating. (Maybe it rotates so slowly that it can't be seen moving - like a clock.)

However, I'm going to watch the program wheel for a couple of days to see if it has been inadvertently fixed.

A curiosity question....
I assumed that the water input to the softener should enter the side of the meter body that included the impeller. However, I noticed that my unit is installed so that the water exits the softener on the impeller side of the meter body. Is this correct installation?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The meter must be fed with clean water in order for it to last. Iron, hardness, dirt, debris etc. could foul up that meter. It has a water lubricated gear set. You will not be able to see the cable spin. it is like you said, the hour hand of a clock. We have meter testers that simply use a series of lines in close proximity and a dial that allows you to easily see if the meter has moved after so many gallons. You are doing the right thing, run it for a day or two and record how many gallons the system uses. Most people use about 40-70 gallons per person per day in a normal household. If it does not show any gallons used, then you likely have a bad meter dome. Unusual and rare, but not unheard of.

dss_cottage

Reaction score
I "think" that my problem my be fixed but I'm still worried.

After I took apart the meter housing and didn't find any blockage, the program wheel started to move and the softener did regenerate last night. So far so good.

After inspecting the meter housing on February 24, I examined and photographed the program wheel every day. I was happy that it was moving. This morning after the regeneration, I did the same examination and took another photo. What worries me is that the program wheel is in exactly the same position as it was prior to Feb 24 when it wasn't working. This seems too coincidental. I would have expected it to move about the same distance that it did on Feb 26 & 27. However, it moved much further and stopped in exactly the same place as when it wasn't working. I've attached pictures from each date.

I'll keep an eye on it for the next few days to see what happens.

Attachments

• feb24.jpg
    feb24.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 218
  • feb25.jpg
    feb25.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 199
  • feb26.jpg
    feb26.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 194
  • feb27.jpg
    feb27.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 176

Bannerman

Reaction score
Since the unit performed a regeneration last night, the outer wheel will reset to the '0' Gallons consumed position as indicated by the position of the white dot that is now aligned with the arrow. Since your valve and meter can be utilized on a range of softener capacities, the white dot will likely only partially travel around the wheel circumference as the capacity setting for your softener will be substantially less than the total capability (capacity) of the valve and meter.

Continue to ensure that the white dot advances each day until the next regeneration is performed.

Last edited:

dss_cottage

Reaction score
I'm going to consider my problem solved! I checked the program wheel this morning and it has moved so all seems well.

I'll give a great big THANK-YOU to everyone who provided guidance.

I'm always amazed at the number of people who so willing offer their time and expertise to complete strangers. You guys are stars.

Thank-you again!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks