A.O Smith intellivent lockout

Users who are viewing this thread

Tarkus

Reaction score
I have a A.O. Smith water heater with a intelli-vent 184960-002 controller. The unit locks out with the two end lights on. When trying to reset by powering down for 30 seconds and powering back up all the lights begin immediately flashing rapidly for quite a while until it finally settles with the two end lights lit. If I try the recommended reset procedure by pressing the two temperature adjust buttons within five seconds of power on, nothing happens and all light continue to flash until it settles with the two end lights on. This can take quite a while. If I leave the unit with the lights flashing on overnight the two end lights are on in the morning. Any ideas?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
SOme of these things have enough power from their power supply, so that it can continue to run for awhile during a power outage, which is why, at least on some, you have to turn them off for more than a moment to fully reset.

Tarkus

Reaction score
Unplug the unit from power for 15 minutes and see if it re-boots itself.... plug it back in and cross your fingers....
How old is the controll part???.
The controller was about 8 years old which I ended up replacing.. Picked one up on ebay that was a new unit pulled from a tank that was damaged on the top. I vacuumed out much of the lime sediment from the tanks bottom while the controller was off and let a small amount on water back in and vacuumed again. Repeated until the water was clear. I also put a surge protector on the power outlet since I read that these controllers are sensitive to power spikes. The controller, some pipe dope and pvc hose that I retrofitted to my shopvac to clean out the sediment. Total cost $115, not too bad. No warranty on the controller but took a chance anyway. Working great so far.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
The controller was about 8 years old which I ended up replacing.. Picked one up on ebay that was a new unit pulled from a tank that was damaged on the top. I vacuumed out much of the lime sediment from the tanks bottom while the controller was off and let a small amount on water back in and vacuumed again. Repeated until the water was clear. I also put a surge protector on the power outlet since I read that these controllers are sensitive to power spikes. The controller, some pipe dope and pvc hose that I retrofitted to my shopvac to clean out the sediment. Total cost $115, not too bad. No warranty on the controller but took a chance anyway. Working great so far.

good thinking going to E-bay.... never thought of doing that

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks