back outlet toilet install

Users who are viewing this thread

nyma96

Reaction score
I just had a bathroom renovation done and the toilet seal (wax) started to leak. so I called the contractor who
worked on the renovation and he said because there was a 1" gap between the drain pipe and the toilet
outlet, he stuck 3 wax seals in there...and he figures he needs to stick a forth one in there....
3 wax seal? and a forth one? doesn't sound right to me...

the drain pipe is flush to the sheetrock and the tile is sticking out about a inch from the sheet rock then the toilet. is there any way to fix the leak without taking out the tile? and can you use wax seals on back outlet
toilets? googling says to use neoprene toilet gasket...but was just wondering....my contractor can't be that
stupid...or is he?

thanks in advance.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Measure from the top of the flange to the top of the floor tile. From your measurements it would suggest about a 3/4" gap, since the flange is usually about 1/4" thick. One #10 wax ring, which is extra thick, may do the job. Without taking the wax paper off, sit the #10 wax ring on the flange. Lightly hold a level over it (so that it does not compress the wax ring) and measure from the bottom of the level to the top of the tile floor. If the top of the wax ring is still too low then you will probably need two wax rings. But I highly doubt that you need three or four since that would equate to 3" and 4". I suspect that your toilet bowl is cracked.

What toilet is it and how long has it been there? If it's new the bowl may be cracked and should be replaced. If it is old it may have cracked when it was moved around.

http://www.righttoolusa.com/p/Lasco...2915932.html?gclid=CM2l3b2qwcMCFQhafgodz0AAfw

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...=X&ei=V2rOVLD3MJShoQSsvYGwBw&ved=0CP4CEPMCMBE

Pretty big difference in price, right? Ace Hardware should have the #10 wax ring probably for about $5.

nyma96

Reaction score
Measure from the top of the flange to the top of the floor tile. From your measurements it would suggest about a 3/4" gap, since the flange is usually about 1/4" thick. One #10 wax ring, which is extra thick, may do the job. Without taking the wax paper off, sit the #10 wax ring on the flange. Lightly hold a level over it (so that it does not compress the wax ring) and measure from the bottom of the level to the top of the tile floor. If the top of the wax ring is still too low then you will probably need two wax rings. But I highly doubt that you need three or four since that would equate to 3" and 4". I suspect that your toilet bowl is cracked.

What toilet is it and how long has it been there? If it's new the bowl may be cracked and should be replaced. If it is old it may have cracked when it was moved around.

http://www.righttoolusa.com/p/Lasco...2915932.html?gclid=CM2l3b2qwcMCFQhafgodz0AAfw

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1563469902816110905?q=extra thick toilet wax ring&client=firefox&hs=4l0&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&biw=1262&bih=810&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.85076809,d.cGU&tch=1&ech=1&psi=O2rOVKazDZa4oQS8toIQ.1422813755832.3&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX6tdq8mDv4A5borU9__-2pEtEYAkZznI_F2psTWaSA8zf-XmV7N4uE-E0ED-4ZnDO2YrCLcU9JpEz9E136meL4sQJxtIzAFpq7RT8provOb1MgjHMxIZAFPVH72nyt_wNIvStLRK8qb9W4ErTJcMtg&sa=X&ei=V2rOVLD3MJShoQSsvYGwBw&ved=0CP4CEPMCMBE

Pretty big difference in price, right? Ace Hardware should have the #10 wax ring probably for about $5.

nyma96

Reaction score
We have American standard back outlet toilet and it's been installed maybe a month...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; .my contractor can't be that
stupid...or is he?

You said it not me, but;
1. He needs to install the proper length "stub nipple" to reach 3/8" PAST the finished wall.
2. If he is going to use ONE wax seal, it MUST be the one specified for wall mount toilets and have a "fabric layer" inside it.
3. ONE neoprene gasket would be preferable.
4. Multiple wax seals of ANY kind are going to leak eventually.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks