Confusion on Toilet Install

Users who are viewing this thread

Rrmathome

Reaction score
Hi,

I am putting a toilet in my basement and using a 3" waste line. So, I have a 4x3 flange. The flange is the TKO with a stainless ring attached to PVC.

It slides over a 3" piece of PVC (I need a few inches vertical pipe before I connect to the closet bend). But this means that the 3" that slides into it creates a ridge inside the PVC of the flange.

It seems this is a perfect place for things (I guess just paper) to get caught on as the toilet is flushed.

It seems it would be better if the flange inserted INTO the pipe, but I have read that, when using 3", that is a bad ideas since it reduces the inside diameter too much.

Do, I just make sure to ream and smooth out the PVC that will go into the flange? Am I over thinking this?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You're overthinking this! You want the end of the pipe to be a smooth cut. There is a small stop in the hub to prevent the pipe from going too far that will cover part of the end of the pipe. Feel free to put a chamfer on the inside of the pipe if you wish, but I'd just make sure to remove any burrs and not worry about it. Keep in mind that the outlet of almost any toilet you buy is in the order of 2+ inches, and the inside of the pipe is 3", and centered over it...IOW, the waste is directed down the middle of the pipe, so the edge isn't an issue.

Rrmathome

Reaction score
I am looking for a toilet and started with this list:
http://www.besttoiletreviews.net/

I think I'm going to go with the "American Standard 2403.128.020 Cadet-3 FloWise Toilet" which is #3 on the list.

I figure #3 must be pretty good, no?

What I want more than anything is a slim size for my small bathroom and at 15.5" wide, this is great. Oh, and I dont want it to clog, either.

I'm not thrilled with the 1.28 gpf but from what I have read, it should be unnoticable compared to a 1.6.

I know Toto is very popular on this board but is this American Standard comparable?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks