Is Eco Drake (CST744EG01) same as older Drake I (CST744SG)?

Users who are viewing this thread

hipspec

Reaction score
Greetings,
I purchased the Drake I about 7 years ago and have no issues. Now our original (Kilgore) 23 yr old toilet is in need of replacement. After doing some research I found the closest model to my original is now titled "Eco Drake" with the model listed in the title.

Is this the same unit as my 7-year old Drake?

Thanks

hipspec

Reaction score
Appreciate the quick reply.

I'm also interested about the differences between the CST744EG01 and the CST454CEF since both are 1.28GPF is one more reliable than the other?

Lastly, can you please tell me if the CST454CEFG01 is available in standard height (not ADA)?

Thanks again

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 744EG bowl is standard height, 14-5/8"

The 454CUFG bowl only comes in the tall height. 16-1/8"

Performance between the the two are pretty similar.

hipspec

Reaction score
So just to clarify the Drake II has the double cyclone flush and is only available in the taller ADA height. While the Eco Drake is similar to the older Drake 1.6 GPF and is offered in the standard height but is more efficient at 1.28 GPF?

BTW, if the above is true can I retrofit my older Drake (1.6 GPF) and convert it to the more efficient 1.28 GPF version?

Thanks again...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
BTW, if the above is true can I retrofit my older Drake (1.6 GPF) and convert it to the more efficient 1.28 GPF version?

Thanks again...

It depends on how old the bowl is. They were originally marked as C744SG bowls, which held more water in the bowl.
They later came out with the C744EG bowl, designed for less water use. The bowl was a little shallower.

hipspec

Reaction score
I looked at my original paperwork and it indicates:
"TOTO Drake CEFIONTECT Two Piece Elongated Toilet CST744SG, Cotton White Toilet - Product Part #: CST744SG#01"
So I can only conclude it has the C744SG bowl unless there is a stamp or mark on the part somewhere?

That said, are you saying it would necessitate replacing the bowl to convert to the 1.28 GPF?
Guess I was hoping the tank would only require some internal parts change... if so I won't bother investing in retrofitting it.

One last question, are there any issues with the Eco Drake compared with the older Drake model?
Since it uses less water and isn't as advanced as the Drake II with the Double Cyclone Tech, I'm a little concerned about incomplete flushes or other unknown problems...

Thanks so much again for your help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I used three of the standard height, CEFIONTECT, elongated "Eco-Drake" toilets in 1.28 gpf for about 5 years with no complaints other than I wanted a better bowl rinse above the water line. Having now used the Drake II's which come in the ADA height standard I can say that I prefer the Eco-Drake's for comfort (and they are cheaper.) However, I do like the double cyclone rinse of Drake II's.

Eco-Drakes (1.28 gpf)worked fine for me, never a problem that a 1.6 gpf Drake would have solved. I was told at the time of purchase that changing tank internals would have been possible to go back to 1.6 gpf if the Eco-Drakes had not panned out.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
While the Eco Drake is similar to the older Drake 1.6 GPF and is offered in the standard height but is more efficient at 1.28 GPF?

If I were replacing an older toilet I'd go with the Drake 1.28gpf in Elongated and ADA height.

(Today, for the first time in over 6 months, I had to double flush my Drake 1.28gpf non-ADA elongated. Caught me by surprise. For me, the regular height Drake tends to urine spot more. ymmv. I guess I will have to always sit down from now on when urinating.)

If you can afford it, go with the Drake II 1.28gpf ADA elongated dual cyclone toilet. It's a piece of art, imo.

I looked at my original paperwork and it indicates:
"TOTO Drake CEFIONTECT Two Piece Elongated Toilet CST744SG, Cotton White Toilet - Product Part #: CST744SG#01"
So I can only conclude it has the C744SG bowl unless there is a stamp or mark on the part somewhere?

That said, are you saying it would necessitate replacing the bowl to convert to the 1.28 GPF?
Guess I was hoping the tank would only require some internal parts change... if so I won't bother investing in retrofitting it.

I think you got the best of both worlds - a regular height bowl and 1.6gpf. The ADA height bowl supposedly has a better flush/wash down because of the increased height; therefor, a 1.28gpf Drake should closely match it in bowl wash, I surmise.

I wouldn't change it. But I may want to move it to the children's or hallway water closet. I would then install the ADA in the master bathroom so that as I get older it would be easier to sit down and stand up. I'd install a Kohler slim seat on it (versus the Toto thick seat, although if truth be told the Toto seat is scalloped and deeper, so, I feel, it spreads one's cheeks and one's rectum while also lowering it, since the scallop extends past the foot pads (deeper). Not everyone may like the sensation, though, some may find it uncomfortable), and I would add a 1" thick rubber mat footstool if the height is a problem. Installing the Toto seat on the ADA should help lower one's rectum closer to the water line.

1.6gpf, regular height:
https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst744eg-specs.pdf
Tank is a ST743S
The bowl is a 744E.

1.28gpf, regular height:
https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst744eg-specs.pdf
The bowl is a 744E.

Therefore, going with a Toto 528MP fill valve should decrease the 1.6gpf Drake down to 1.28gpf; provided you also change the flapper to the one in the 1.28gpf Drake (red).

Likewise,
1.6gpf, ADA height:
https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst744sl.pdf
The bowl is 744EL.

1.28gfp, ADA height:
https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst744el.pdf
The bowl is 744EL.

Therefore, going with a Toto 528T fill valve should increase a 1.28gpf Drake to 1.6gpf, provided you also change the flapper to the one in the 1.6gpg Drake (pink).

The difference between the regular height elongated and the ADA height elongated is the water spot shape, the regular height having a diamond shaped water spot and the ADA height having an oval shaped water spot.

How has the CEFIONTECT worked for you?

[Question to Terry: I noticed that my 1.28gpf Drake has the chain on the left most hole on the rod and my 1.6gpf Drake has the chain connected to the right most hole. What would be the result of moving the 1.28gpf chain all the way to the rightmost rod hole and the 1.6gpf chain all the way to the leftmost rod hole? To me, it would suggest an increase in the flapper actuation angle at the rightmost hole and a decrease in the angle in the leftmost hole, and therefore should affect the amount of water draining, either increasing or decreasing it slightly.

Another variable is the slack in the chain, with the 1.28gpf having little slack and the 1.6gpf having a lot of slack. I take it that the position should be adjusted so that at the lever's lowest position (fully depressed) the flapper should be as open as possible without straining it (possibly leading to breakage.)

What is the purpose of the white "weight" on the 1.6gpf? Obviously it should affect the amount of time it is open, but that just begs the question as to why the 1.28gpf doesn't have it. (Uh, because it doesn't need it? The time duration is maximum without it?) I surmise that it works in tandem with the refill ratio.

Or is it the other way around? Since the rod is angled down into the water, the right most hole will NOT open the flapper as wide and therefore less water is flushed down? Could you elucidate on the engineering?]

Last edited by a moderator:

Starwarsith88

Reporter
Reaction score
Greetings,
I purchased the Drake I about 7 years ago and have no issues. Now our original (Kilgore) 23 yr old toilet is in need of replacement. After doing some research I found the closest model to my original is now titled "Eco Drake" with the model listed in the title.

Is this the same unit as my 7-year old Drake?

Thanks

Yes sir! The TOTO Eco Drake and the Drake are actually the same thing, The Eco Drake is 1.28 Gallon Per Flush toilet while the TOTO Drake regular is 1.6 Gallons per flush and uses the GMAX flushing system. I strongly recommend the Eco Drake as it is very similar and using a Korky fill valve you'll be all set! The only difference between the Eco Drake and the Drake II is that the Drake II uses double cyclone technology which is slightly newer and better at cleaning the bowl than the EMAX. We have older GMAX 1.6 Drakes in our home and they work just fine. Both are overall good quality toilets and both are very water saving options.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks