Is my contractor/plumber doing this right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When I install a Moen valve, it has a reducer built into the valve that forces most of the water downward. Even with that, If a smaller pipe like PEX and PEX fittings are used on the tub spout it will force water out of the shower head.

Make your plumber sign a paper stating that if his way doesn't work, since it's not the way the Hansgrohe instructions show, that he will come out and open the wall up to make the changes when it fails you.

I install those valves all the time. I would have never done it his way. No way!

Plumbnewbiehl

Reaction score
So i spoke with my contractor and they redid some of the piping.

So they redid the bottom to go down to the tub spout and then have a tee there that goes up to the head shower. The top part of the valve is going to the handshower. This is what I would expect to work but I'm not sure. Any advice with this layout?

20141227_133106.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is how it was almost always done it the 50s and 60s, but even then, the shower had to connect to a "twin ell", and Hansegrohe's instructions SHOULD say he needs a "twin ell" if the shower is going to connect to the tub's spout drop. It is STILL wrong, just NOT as wrong as before, but the shower will still flow when you use the spout to fill the tub, especially since there are THREE elbows between the tee and the spout. Where did you get this "plumber"? I hate to have to "pull rank" here, but I will match my 65 years of experience against whatever he has. But, then, he may not have ever HEARD what a "twin ell" is, or where to find one. Why is the "cover plate" sideways? Did he take it off while installing the valve, or is the valve REALLY sideways?

Last edited:

Plumbnewbiehl

Reaction score
That is how it was almost always done it the 50s and 60s, but even then, the shower had to connect to a "twin ell", and Hansegrohe's instructions SHOULD say he needs a "twin ell" if the shower is going to connect to the tub's spout drop. It is STILL wrong, just NOT as wrong as before, but the shower will still flow when you use the spout to fill the tub, especially since there are THREE elbows between the tee and the spout. Where did you get this "plumber"? I hate to have to "pull rank" here, but I will match my 65 years of experience against whatever he has. But, then, he may not have ever HEARD what a "twin ell" is, or where to find one. Why is the "cover plate" sideways? Did he take it off while installing the valve, or is the valve REALLY sideways?

I think the paper is sideways and that valve is not necessarily sideways but the correct side up. I'm hoping that the plumber is well verse enough to put on the valve since he told me he's put on a lot of Hansgrohe valves before, of course I can be wrong again. I'm going back to the house again and will take some more pictures. This is turning out to be more of a headache because both my bathroom has Hansgrohe iBox valves so if he did this one wrong, I'm not sure if he did the other one correctly. Stay tune for my pics or videos. Thanks again for all your input everyone!

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
If that valve was installed by a licensed plumber then I'm seriously going to consider a different line of work because I in no way want to be associated with work of that quality.

Plumbnewbiehl

Reaction score
Okay, I'm at the point where I'm total lost on what to do here. The plumber promised me that it should work. Is there anyway I can test this myself? Do you think to simplify everything, I should just do a tub spout and a handshower with an adjustable height bar. The guest bathroom is really for when we have kids and I guess I got ambitious in trying to have 3 spouts for on bathroom. Let me know what you all think I should do with my situation. I hope you like the pictures and videos.

Guest Bathroom with New Piping

hansgrohe-plumb-01.jpg

20141229_175647.jpg

20141220_163715.jpg

20141229_175946.jpg

Adding my Master Bathroom shower piping. I'm pretty sure they can't mess up on this since there are only two settings (headshower and handshower) which my trim has two diverters for so it should be pretty straight forward.

Master Bathroom

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Put the tub spout on and turn on the valve. You do NOT need to install anything else, just remove the caps from the shower openings. Otherwise we can discuss it FOREVER without a resolution.

Plumbnewbiehl

Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update with this project. Everything installed and working correctly. However, I think they didn't adjust the Trim correctly because I need to put the lever all the way to hot to get warm water and when lowered just a little, it turns cold. I've called Hansgrohe and they just gave me a pdf of the trim settings. I also read that there is a way to turn off the anti-scald from these trim. What would you suggest I do? The shower does not get hot enough for me and my wife and would like to increase the amount of hot water.

CAhomeowner

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a first time homeowner trying to learn about all of the differences in pipes and plumbing for a remodel project. I dug up this forum because I have a plumber who had piped and closed all of the shower walls using a 2-way Hansgrohe shower control (via iBox) and a tub spout with diverter. They had plumbed and drilled holes in the tile for a handheld shower, showerhead, and a tub spout. The tub spout itself has issues, so they have to open the wall and move the tub spout; however, I want them to also remove the hand shower if our shower might cause leaks.

I had someone at the local hardware store tell me explicitly not to combine the shower control diverter and a tub diverter at the same time, but I'm having the same issue where my plumber said they do this all the time. They showed me lots of photos of them installing the two-way diverter and the tub spout diverter together.

Can you take a look at this photo and let me know if I make sure they remove the handheld shower? I would like to keep the handheld shower if this works, but obviously leaks are much worse.

08EBCD7A-C2A9-450E-A393-C4B79A3DF143.jpg

CAhomeowner

Reaction score
Put the tub spout on and turn on the valve. You do NOT need to install anything else, just remove the caps from the shower openings. Otherwise we can discuss it FOREVER without a resolution.
Hello,

I'm a first time homeowner trying to learn about all of the differences in pipes and plumbing for a remodel project. I dug up this forum because I have a plumber who had piped and closed all of the shower walls using a 2-way Hansgrohe shower control (via iBox) and a tub spout with diverter. They had plumbed and drilled holes in the tile for a handheld shower, showerhead, and a tub spout. The tub spout itself has issues, so they have to open the wall and move the tub spout; however, I want them to also remove the hand shower if our shower might cause leaks.

I had someone at the local hardware store tell me explicitly not to combine the shower control diverter and a tub diverter at the same time, but I'm having the same issue where my plumber said they do this all the time. They showed me lots of photos of them installing the two-way diverter and the tub spout diverter together.

Can you take a look at this photo and let me know if I make sure they remove the handheld shower? I would like to keep the handheld shower if this works, but obviously leaks are much worse.
Do you @hj or @Terry happen to have any advice about the plumbing installation that I shared?

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Going by Terry's diagram, it will work as long as the tub spout is a diverter spout, but, with the spout tee'd in so high, you might get some spillover to the shower head when using the spout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks