Small bathroom remodel..

Users who are viewing this thread

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Grout color? I'm having a hard time deciding, even though I'm still leaning towards black.

I found this random picture searching the web.

CIMG2968.jpg

It appears to be a demonstration as to how grout color affects glass tile. The tile samples look the same(although density of actual glass tiles is different), and have black, white, or grey grout. The aesthetic differences look drastic to me. Is the pictured example typical?

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Another design question.

I'll have the floor and wall surfaces under/behind the vanity cabinet completely tiled before it's set. For a top I may get a slab fabbed out of something really nice, since its such a small surface(8 sq/ft). With a 36" high vanity/top, and wall tile extending to +46" AFF, should a back splash and return be installed above/around the top, or just leave it as wall tile?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Nice to get the wall tile to sit onto of the counter if you can. But that means doing the tile after the stone goes in.

I installed the tile on the vanity wall and stopped at a grout joint. waiting for the stone to go in and then I will bring my wall tile down over top. If you can not wait then make sure the wall is deadly true and the stone guys give you a nice cut line and micro bevel on the edge that meets the wall.

Last edited:

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
looks like you can make those tub leg pieces work just fine...youre doing a great job ...

Did you set your wall ledger attempting to use a full 12"piece of tile to floor transistion?? likely that will not work out.

I set my ledger an inch ( if i have it) lower allowing myself room to then go back and scribe cut the bottom course to the floor tiles after the floor is set. this way you control the change of plane joint.

just my 2 cents... you likely know this already based on your excellent work!!!

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Thanks, Erik. :cool:

I know this is a pretty simple build, and I'm big dealing every little thing, but that's what keeps me focused. I appreciate you guys looking, and giving me feedback.

The window on the back wall gave me 2 choices for layout, AFAIC. Niches on top or bottom of horizontal grout lines. I did a lot of measuring this time. I'll be cutting off a little more than an inch from the bottom row of wall tiles. The tub leg pieces are hangin right over the floor. ;)

IMG_20141220_083254918.jpg

I'm finishing out niches today. I numbered/saved the scraps from the adjacent tiles to try and wrap them. Learned a valuable lesson. The face tiles below should have been set upside down to really make it seamless. I set them with factory edge to Rondec, which forces me to use the opposite side of the scrap for the niche bottom. The pattern isn't perfect, but close enough for me. These aren't mortared, just dry set in place to see.

IMG_20141220_082509901_HDR.jpg

Decided on black grout. So far the install is good enough that I won't regret it. I'm certainly trying. These details can drive a guy out of his mind! LOL

Last edited:

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Thanks, Erik. :cool:

I'm finishing out niches today. I numbered/saved the scraps from the adjacent tiles to try and wrap them. Learned a valuable lesson. The face tiles below should have been set upside down to really make it seamless. I set them with factory edge to Rondec, which forces me to use the opposite side of the scrap for the niche bottom. The pattern isn't perfect, but close enough for

Decided on black grout. So far the install is good enough that I won't regret it. I'm certainly trying. These details can drive a guy out of his mind! LOL

i feel the same when I get roped into any electrical work. !!!

keep it up lookin great....

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Why yes, Roberto. Yes I did. I call it black. LOL

IMG_20141220_114223423.jpg

Scored a case of 6 tubes of Custom's #60 commercial 100% silicone for 60 bucks too.

Glad to see you guys back. :)

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I ended up working in the bathroom most of the holiday. Painted the walls Xmas eve, and finished setting all the tile yesterday. Damn Hershey kiss commercial played on TV, and all I heard was, " We niche you a Merry Christmas, we niche you a Merry Christmas, etc...". Then that kept going through my head the rest of the night. I hope to pass this curse to you all. You'll hear it now. HA!!

Painted up new door casings this morning. Now I'll scrub it down and grout it. Happy so far!

IMG_20141226_121955359.jpg

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Thanks again, Erik. :)

Grout turned out great! I like Fusion Pro a lot. I almost gave up on CBP after the inconsistent color of Polyblend non sanded in my master bath. My fingernails are as black as Mike Ness' today. LOL

IMG_20141227_063726456.jpg

Started trimming out. Didn't notice before that the shower head came with a round flange. Can't have that. I'll get a square one, and use the round one for the toilet supply line.

IMG_20141227_080838667.jpg

Last edited:

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Looking good Vegas !!! The contrast look came out great !!! Not as easy to accomplish as it looks !!!

If I may , on a side note , you should not follow the grout lines -- IMO -- from the floor to the wall transition when doing an offset pattern and the tiles are big enough . :D

Do you have a mirror effect design on the other side -- from middle of the floor to the wall and continuing on it ?

Last edited:

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Vegas ,maybe you could share with us what kind of property value return youd expect? and total cost of bathroom project on fhe Tile shower pricing thread?

Doug B did an awesome job on his last bathroom and shared some insight to pricing?

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
If you were rockin some socialD when getting black grout finger ..... ill assume it was Mommys Little Monster. the only one that counts..

may i suggest....always rock your rubber gloves when grouting.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Looking good Vegas !!! The contrast look came out great !!! Not as easy to accomplish as it looks !!!

Thanks, Roberto. :)

This wasn't easy at all. I'd say it was more technical than my master bath. Every little defect shows with the contrasting grout. I hope your clients appreciate the work it takes to make these things happen.

If I may , on a side note , you should not follow the grout lines -- IMO -- from the floor to the wall transition when doing an offset pattern and the tiles are big enough . :D

Do you have a mirror effect design on the other side -- from middle of the floor to the wall and continuing on it ?

I played with that for a while. I like the effect of the floor/wall joint lining up. Makes things look bigger, or something. I did the same on the shower walls, and both sides mirror each other. Too bad you won't see crap with the toilet and vanity installed.

IMG_20141227_145219005.jpg

Got the lights, and med cabs installed. The mirrored med cabinets are even mirrored inside. Perfect for a 14yo girl. Sheeesh. LOL

IMG_20141227_124447825.jpg

I might add one more of those light fixtures over the side cabinet. Seems like one belongs there.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Vegas ,maybe you could share with us what kind of property value return youd expect? and total cost of bathroom project on fhe Tile shower pricing thread?

Doug B did an awesome job on his last bathroom and shared some insight to pricing?

I haven't kept track of anything, Erik. If I have any extra money, I just get what I can get by with. I'll try to add to that thread. It's a subject I haven't seen many DIYers talk about.

Appreciation will definitely cover expenses. ;)

Black grout fingers turned to black caulk finger today.

The great tub debate. Grout, or caulk? I chose to caulk, after filling the tub. The towel kept water from splashing everywhere while filling.

IMG_20141228_092022650.jpg

The tape makes all the difference in the world with silicone. Joints come out clean, and crisp.

IMG_20141228_094345471.jpg

Set a new 1 piece toilet, and even taping around that is quicker than smearing crap everywhere. No white in the grout.

IMG_20141228_120317543.jpg

Have you guys ever used Set Rite flange extenders?

IMG_20141228_103111428.jpg

Worked great for this one. I had an existing ABS flange, so the screws zipped right in. With the gasket, 1/4" spacer, and new yellow flange, it came up a hair lower than perfect. Left a nice surface to caulk tile/flange.

IMG_20141228_105909104.jpg

No Social D. BRMC, and Tool this weekend. :D

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Looking good Vegas.

Can you get a longer shower arm piece? Something like 18".

Because I have basically no plumbing experience, things like shower arms are trial and error for me. What I do know is that no one uses the rain head in the master bath. They say the water always runs in their eyes when they do. With that, I'll see how this works. We're blue collar, and don't know what to do with nice stuff. Maybe I'll scab on a redneck PEX extension to try different showerhead locations. A galvanized coupling, or two should blend right in. LOL

I'm gonna try and get the LEDs done next weekend. Have some new controllers, and power supplies you might like. The window and shampoo niches will be out of phase with each other during color rotation. Should give a good illusion of flow. ;)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks