Kohler Archer tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Queen50

Reaction score
Planning a bath remodel and I'm looking at the Kohler 'Archer' alcove tub. It says its "Exocrylic" and weighs only 73 lbs. Is this material any good? Will it last or feel spongy? Their cast iron tubs weigh over 300 lbs. BTW, a contractor will be putting the tub in but it's a small bath so will be hard to manipulate a tub.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've installed the Archer before.
It's a nice tub. Sometimes with Kohler, I can lay it down on the plywood and it's perfect. Some of it depends on how level your home is, and how it fits to the tub.

wood_609.jpg

Last edited:

Todds

Reaction score
It's a nice tub. Sometimes with Kohler, I can lay it down on the plywood and it's perfect. Some of it depends on how level your home is, and how it fits to the tub.

wood_609.jpg
Hi Terry, Do you know if the apron on the Kohler Archer tub above fully recessed or raised. Your photo looks recessed and the stock photos is seem clearly undecided.

99450aa3-91bc-406b-bf67-041e544a0899_1000.jpg
archer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tanajo

Reaction score
Help - seriously can not figure out how to install the backer board with this Kohler Archer Tub. it's model K-1946 just like to photo above. the instructions show typical flange that would be secured to studs BUT this tub flange looks nothing like that! the flange has a top rounded piece that sits parallel to the tub deck and perpendicular to would I would call the flange. We are not DIY virgins so feeling a little silly that we can't figure this out.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The backer goes to the top of the flange, not over. Maybe even a little gap there.
The tile then goes on, and it covers. That also has a gap, but that gap is at the tub. This gets a Silicone seal.

tanajo

Reaction score
okay, that makes sense. so do we put a shim between the tub "flange" and the stud? it's a about 1/2" of space between that and the stud of just nothingness. and then drill through that to secure it to the wall? I've never seen a tub without predrilled holes in the flange. it's a great tub but seriously Kohler, give the correct install instructions!

James McMahon

Reaction score

wood_609.jpg
Terry, I recently purchased the Kohler 1946 R tub and it sits dead level on my floor. That's because I had to remove all of the rotten floor joists and replace them so now my floor is level :). This tub is branded "exocrylic" and also has the "ribs" that run almost the entire distance on the bottom of the tub. Since it sits level and it is made of this "exocrylic" material is it absolutely necessary I bed it in mortar?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you really want it to feel solid when you are done, you bed it in small piles of mortar. No acrylic tub will ever feel as solid as cast iron, so the mortar is well worth a little extra effort.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We installed one like that last month. Level floor, and the tub was flush to the floor. We wound up using adhesive on the floor to quiet it. It was nice not having to shim.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Stepping onto a tub like that can cause slight flexing. The thing also expands and contracts with temperature changes, like when it gets filled with hot water then cools off again later. Doesn't take much movement to cause a squeak.

Jim T.

Reaction score
Terry, I'm also in the process of installing the Kohler Archer tub, and want to mortar it. Here's my problem: how do I account for the extra height of the overflow drain that will result from the tub sitting higher in the mortar? WILL it sit higher in the mortar or do I push it down so close to floor level that it's negligible? I only get one shot at it since I do not have access from underneath, so I need to cut and glue my PVC for the overflow and account for some extra height. How much? The same may also be said for the drain - if the tub sits higher I may need a slightly longer length of PVC. Any help you can offer is appreciated.

johnnytucats

Reaction score
Has anyone here with this Archer tub had an issue with water collecting on the flat edges and running onto the floor?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks