Wall Outlet Melted Through

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Another thing to think about is voltage drop from the Feed to the Outlet and the power cord before the heater elements.

And there will be plenty, especially when the wires and electrical connections heat up, from long periods of time, 100% Duty Cycle. Trying to heat the house.

1500 watts is 12A @ 125V
1500 watts is 12.5A @ 120V
1500 watts is 13.043A @ 115V
1500 watts is 13.636A @ 110V

You get the point.

1500 Watts is to much for a outlet to be safe, when operating for long periods of time, Period.

Buy a 1500 watt heater and test it for yourself, If you do not believe. Measure the Voltage at the outlet, and the temperature of the outlet and power plug and wire. Then you will run it on its low setting, and stop trying to heat the whole house or a large room with it.

Have Fun.

Last edited:

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
Another thing to think about is voltage drop from the Feed to the Outlet and the power cord before the heater elements.

And there will be plenty, especially when the wires and electrical connections heat up, from long periods of time, 100% Duty Cycle. Trying to heat the house.

1500 watts is 12A @ 125V
1500 watts is 12.5A @ 120V
1500 watts is 13.043A @ 115V
1500 watts is 13.636A @ 110V

You get the point.
Are you SURE about this??? Maybe run the numbers again remembering that this is a resistance heat load.
Punch your numbers into an Ohm's law calculator, keeping the resistance the same. You may want to edit your post after.

DonL

Reaction score
Are you SURE about this??? Maybe run the numbers again remembering that this is a resistance heat load.
Punch your numbers into an Ohm's law calculator, keeping the resistance the same. You may want to edit your post after.

Don't need any special calculator. PIE is good.

Please correct my figures if you can. No need to edit my post, because it is correct.

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
Don't need any special calculator. PIE is good.

Please correct my figures if you can. No need to edit my post, because it is correct.
Must I do everything?
And since when does resistive heat get higher in amperage with lowering the voltage??? And how is the wattage staying the same?

125V
1500W
12A
10.42Ω

120V
1382W
11.52A
10.42Ω

115V
1270W
11A
10.42Ω

110V
1162W
10.56A
10.42Ω

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Must I do everything?
And since when does resistive heat get higher in amperage with lowering the voltage??? And how is the wattage staying the same? The resistance stays the same.

125V
1500W
12A
10.42Ω

120V
1382W
11.52A
10.42Ω

115V
1270W
11A
10.42Ω

110V
1162W
10.56A
10.42Ω

Nice try.

But the resistance of a heating element changes, It does not not stay the same, when a different voltage is applied.

Try again.

DonL

Reaction score
OK then. I'm done. You win. You're right. Always are.

No I am not always right.

I will admit when I have my head up my ass. Don't think so for this theory.

When Voltage goes down, Current goes up. When Voltage goes up Current goes down, If the load stays the same.

When a heating element gets hot, the resistance goes up. The lower the voltage is at the element, the less resistance it has, and the more current it draws.

Simple really.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I'm with Petey on this one. KW ratings of resistive heaters are typically different when varied input voltages are applied. Higher input voltages=higher KW rating.

DonL

Reaction score
I'm with Petey on this one. KW ratings of resistive heaters are typically different when varied input voltages are applied. Higher input voltages=higher KW rating.

I agree with that also. I never said it don't.

The lower the voltage, at the element, the less the output. Very True, That is correct.

I was talking about Voltage Drop in the wiring and connections.

The wire and connections get hot, Not all of the power is dissipated by heating element. That was my point.

But the same is true if you start with low voltage to begin with. The current goes up.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Not for resistive loads.

You and Petey are correct.

I still stand by my 1500 Watts is to much for a space heater. They make the plug Hot in 30 Minuets. I have tested many of them. And the load is not pure resistive. It is a Coil of wire, so it has a bit of Inductance. The Hotter it gets the more resistance it has also, Just like a lightbulb.

I present my Picture

upload_2014-12-27_7-35-9.png

Happy Holidays, Drink Don't Drive.

Last edited:

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
Just for clarification. I didn't mean to imply that the resistance stays exactly the same. Of course there is a fan and the heating element resistance changes slightly with temperature. With this forum I didn't think it was necessary to point this out.
My point was about the exact same heater, used on different voltages. Again, the resistance of the heating element stays (roughly) the same so the lower the voltage the lower the wattage and amperage. Again again, all you have to do is look at the ratings of electric baseboard heaters or even wall heaters. Same even goes for water heaters. We often get question about using 240v heaters on 120v.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Trying to heat a house or even a small room with these items will (notice the use of the word will) result in a fire.

I have been using one in my office for YEARS, so, since you are so sure it is going to happen, WHEN is that fire going to happen. I would like to know so I can prepare for it.

DonL

Reaction score
quote; Trying to heat a house or even a small room with these items will (notice the use of the word will) result in a fire.

I have been using one in my office for YEARS, so, since you are so sure it is going to happen, WHEN is that fire going to happen. I would like to know so I can prepare for it.

I have one in every room of my house.

I only run them on Low, and have a smoke / fire alarm near all of them.

I have one with nice Electronic control, and it will adjust for duty cycle. It is made to safely heat a room.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks