Walk in master shower toe tester

Users who are viewing this thread

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score
I'm try to figure out the layout/function of the master shower (walk-in). While I was at my local plumbing supply, the guy talked about installing a toe tester in the shower. Essentially a tub spout (though I guess they also make small "specific" spouts) with a diverter that you test the water before sending it to the shower heads.

The plan is to install 3 shower heads (wall, rainfall and handheld), tub spout, mixing valve (Delta) and diverter (Delta 3/6 function).

I've seen posts by HJ recommending installing the toe tester ~ 18" AFF. I was going to put the mixing valve in at ~ 44" AFF. Delta's paperwork indicates the tub spout should be 8-18" below the mixing valve with only 1x elbow.

I wanted to put the controls centered in the shower stall and have the spout off to the side. So that would entail a 26" drop, 2x elbows and a 16" lateral.

Would this cause problems, i.e. too much restriction to the tub spout? Supply lines are 1/2" PEX and plan to use 1/2" copper to tub spout/diverter/shower heads.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Delta's paperwork indicates the tub spout should be 8-18" below the mixing valve with only 1x elbow.

That was either written by an engineer or a hack that writes instruction manuals. The length is completely irrelevant and you can offset it with 45s in the drop pipe, although 2 elbows should also work okay.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Those specs are for when the tub spout uses a pull-up diverter. In such cases the line to the showerhead stays open at all times and so excessive inline resistance to the tub spout can result in dripping at the showerhead.

I assume the OP will be using a proper valve and not a pull-up diverter built into a tub spout in which case the rule no longer applies.

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score
quote; Delta's paperwork indicates the tub spout should be 8-18" below the mixing valve with only 1x elbow.

That was either written by an engineer or a hack that writes instruction manuals. The length is completely irrelevant and you can offset it with 45s in the drop pipe, although 2 elbows should also work okay.

Thanks HJ, I totally forgot about using 45s.

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score
Those specs are for when the tub spout uses a pull-up diverter. In such cases the line to the showerhead stays open at all times and so excessive inline resistance to the tub spout can result in dripping at the showerhead.

I assume the OP will be using a proper valve and not a pull-up diverter built into a tub spout in which case the rule no longer applies.

The plan was to use a regular shower/tub mixing valve with tub spout pull up diverter. Diverter valve was only to switch between shower heads.

If I wanted a separate diverter to control all the shower heads and "toe tester", I'd need a diverter with 4 outlets…. which I haven't seen.

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You should be okay especially if you use 45's verses 90's. I do like the pull-down tub spouts that HJ turned me onto.

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score
You should be okay especially if you use 45's verses 90's. I do like the pull-down tub spouts that HJ turned me onto.

I've seen those too… I imagine that there is a "ring" at the spout end that you pull down? I dunno how that would work in a shower with a "low" spout.

When I was talking with the local supply store guy, he said he installed a spout with a pull-up diverter. I replied with, "so you have to bend over each time to use it, that doesn't seem very friendly… especially when you get older." He chuckled and said, "how old are you? I just slip my toes in between the pull-up knob and lift, no bending over." Mind you, I'm 28 and he is probably 55.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The difference in height between the pull up knob and the ring around the spout is maybe 1-2". If that is a problem, put in a diverter valve and just use a normal spout!

My experience isn't exhaustive on this, but it seems that the Delta pull-down diverter spout seems to last longer than the typical pull-up one before it starts to leak and create whistling noises.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks