Musty smell in towels, dish rages

Users who are viewing this thread

spete112

Reaction score
Would anyone have any idea as to what would cause a musty smell with dish towels and shower towels. Basically any towel that gets wet will get musty with in a day. I am on a well system and have installed a flex 5600 water softener. As far as I can tell the softener is doing its job. My water after the softener smells and tastes great. What else can be in he water that would be causing his. Normal clothes does not seem to be effected by this. I live in a area that right now that needs humidification in the winter time. Thanks

MrStop

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it is a function of your water, but more of fabric that gets wet on a regular basis and isn't drying in an optimal way (i.e. bottom of a basket, folded on a rack, etc). How are you washing them? I find that, every so often, I need to use some vinegar instead of fabric softener. I will also wash them using the sanitize mode on my machine. Usually the combination of these wipes out the funk.

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Some Soaps will do that.

You may want to change soap brands.

Liquid Tide cost more, But no smell using it.

Good Luck.

Reach4

Reaction score
While you are not seeing other symptoms, have you sanitized your well and plumbing in the last few years? I am thinking that after putting in the softener re-doing some sanitizing, including the softener, would be good too.

I like the more rigorous method described in http://www.moravecwaterwells.com/disin_test.htm for the well and pipes. Some like to do that every couple years. Others only do it if there is a symptom. Now is this a symptom that could be affected by this? I don't know. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....s-cleaning-of-softener-resin-advisable.47585/ does some discussion.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
MrStop had the answer. Except Vinegar will set the fabric color. Do not mix colors.
Running Vinegar with no cloths may be best to clean the machine.

I do not use dryer sheets, They are not good for a dryer or fabric.

If it was a water problem, they would stink, right out of the washer / dryer.

The newer Water saving machines do not rinse or Wash very well.

Me Thinks

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The new front load machines should be sanitized with bleach occasionally and be sure to physically clean any areas you can reach under the seal to try to find the nasty growths that can occur there. Some dryer sheets contain a lot of nasty chemicals, they set my nose off into thinking someone vomited in the dryer, needless to say, they are banned in my house.

If it were your water, the smell you described could be a tannin issue. Treating tannins will often change the smell from bad to not as bad, or sometimes worse. Many people chose to ignore tannin related problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks