Japanese Toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

Sluggo

Reaction score
I just got back from two weeks in Japan and it was an interesting trip. Just about everywhere we stayed -- even many public restrooms -- had fancy, heated toilet seats with washing nozzles and sometimes even white noise generators, apparently to mask bathroom sounds. I understand the prevalence of heated seats is because many Japanese don't use central heat in their homes, but only heat the rooms they are using for a while. Hence, many bathrooms are unheated and the heated seat is a nice amenity. Here is one of my favorite toilets, a Toto with a heated seat and an integral sink that was in a Buddhist monastery we stayed at:

My other favorite was the emergency toilet in the elevator at one of the hotels we stayed in:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Interesting pictures. Regarding this one, was initially presuming that the drain was feeding down the overflow tube rather into that separate drain line on the side.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sluggo

Reaction score
Reach-
The line on the left hand side was insulated and I think it was the water supply for the faucet/tank. When you flushed the tank, the water started to run from the faucet, and it stopped when the tank filled.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can buy those tank top faucets here. It uses the water from the fill valve that normally goes to the overflow tube, filling the bowl. This way you get to use that water twice.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
US code requires hot water in (at least many) rest rooms, so the cold water refilling the toilet would not be sufficient unless it had a small in-line heater. Now, it's not enforced all that tightly.

Reach4

Reaction score
US code requires hot water in (at least many) rest rooms, so the cold water refilling the toilet would not be sufficient unless it had a small in-line heater. Now, it's not enforced all that tightly.

Perhaps they run hot/warm water to the toilet and that is why the water supply line is insulated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

They sell those as an aftermarket thing. At least in the US. It's just the tank lid that you buy.
I don't think they are that worried about it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks