2nd PEX Failure in 1 Year - HELP?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Annie Porter

Reaction score
Hi!!

Our house was built custom new contruction in 2001 in Orlando, Florida. It was a knock-down rebuild as opposed to a new subdivision etc. so we don't have neighbors to compare notes with. We are not the original owners but have lived here 5 years. Unfortunately we've had two severe pipe breaks in the past year. Our house has PEX.

In March of 2014, we came home to 8 inches of water flooding our entire downstairs. A pipe behind the kitchen sink had cracked. The plumber noted this was strange given the age of house and type of piping but we considered it isolated. The damage and restoration were extensive all floors and cabinetry was damaged.

Now in December 2014 we've had our second failure. This time we came home sooner but still to several inches of standing water throughout downstairs. It was a pipe behind the downstairs bathroom sink in this case. The plumber said this is the second time he's seen PEX crack like this ever, and both were in our house. See pictures. Again it was the pipe and not the fitting that are damaged. It was the cold water line both times.

We are terrified this is a bad batch of piping and we will continue to flood until we repipe. If this happens upstairs I cannot even imagine!
So after a bit of research I'm posing these questions - any insight would be forever apprecaited!!

1) Can anyone identify the brand/type/manufacturer of our PEX? See pics. It is not the terra cotta/orange pex (note that copper comes out of the hot water heater) but rather an opaque white/clearish pipe. The f1807 fitting is marked with "MBPEX" and the metal has logos - either a large W with a line through it or a small W on top of a small M with the registered trademark R in a circle next to it.

2) Thoughts on the cracking itself?

3) If we had to replumb, would it be all pipes throughout the house typically or just pipes near these fittings - like behind fixtures?

4) Does anyone know of an expert in this type of situation in the Central Florida area?

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 638
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 642
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 578
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 667
  • image5.JPG
    image5.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 559
  • image6.JPG
    image6.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 543
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I won't know the answer to your questions. But to make it more possible for somebody who might, I have suggestions:

1. Type all of the letters from the fittings. For example "NSF-PW" was easy to read in your photos. Unfortunately that is a marking that would be common to other fittings. Photo 27559 says FBPEX, UBPEX, D5BPEX or what?

2. When taking photos, if using a camera, put the camera into macro mode. Make sure that the camera indicates it is focusing on the letters rather than the carpet. If you are using a cell phone, see if you can borrow a dedicated camera.

3. This would be the best: are there markings on the pipe? If so, what are they? Even if somebody can already identify the fittings, can you be sure that that will identify the pipe?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is one brand of PEX that has had problems and I think they went out of business. IN general, PEX is quite reliable. It's been used in Europe for much longer than in the USA. As it became more popular, more companies started to make it, and they found some less expensive ways to manufacture it (there are at least three recognized methods to make the stuff -A, -B, and -C). It's all about tight process control and quality materials. Installation has something to do with it as well, as if the hole is tight, you can damage the pipe pulling it through, or if you kink it, and don't repair it properly, that can become a weak point. None of the manufacturers will warrant their pipe if you don't use their fittings, but generally, they do work as long as you match up the type properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Annie Porter

Reaction score
I won't know the answer to your questions. But to make it more possible for somebody who might, I have suggestions:

1. Type all of the letters from the fittings. For example "NSF-PW" was easy to read in your photos. Unfortunately that is a marking that would be common to other fittings. Photo 27559 says FBPEX, UBPEX, D5BPEX or what?

2. When taking photos, if using a camera, put the camera into macro mode. Make sure that the camera indicates it is focusing on the letters rather than the carpet. If you are using a cell phone, see if you can borrow a dedicated camera.

3. This would be the best: are there markings on the pipe? If so, what are they? Even if somebody can already identify the fittings, can you be sure that that will identify the pipe?

Thank you! Great advice. I intentionally left out the NSF-PW since that is a common marking, but it says "MBPEX". That info was kind of buried in my point #1 so it's great to highlight it here.
Sadly, no marking on the pipe itself. I don't have a digital camera unfortunately but maybe can get my hands on one when things settle down around here. In the meantime, iphone is the best I could do :)

Reach4

Reaction score
I did not read your posting well enough. MBPEX does bring up hits.

I don't think this would apply to you. http://www.kitecsettlement.com/ Your problem does not seem related to fittings. If you Google Kitec System, it appears that their problem was the fittings -- not the PEX pipe.

Try checking your piping for markings as best you can.

There are systems to cut off the water if a moisture sensor gets wet. I am thinking that new pipes are your proper solution. Keep records of expenses in case there is some legal action or even a maker making a settlement without legal action.

Again I am not a pro, or even a well-practiced amateur in this.

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I read your post and went out to my garage and found a short piece of PEX. I took my 32oz hammer and pounded the pipe flat on my vise. It didn't break or split. I suspect that your pipe is part of a bad batch. Don't see how you can completely trust it again. My last repipe was maybe two years ago, two story over a full unfinished basement, and cost the customer just under 4 thousand. In PEX, but hopefully the good stuff. I left the sheetrock work for others to take care of.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
"MB Pex" fittings were the Uphonor-distributed fittings that were made by Unique, and which are the subject of multiple lawsuits. IIRC, the Uphonor PEX wasn't implicated, just the fittings...

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you are totally screwed and you will be wise to re-pipe the home...

I would suggest when you leave the home you shut off your water at the main
so you done have any more surprises when you return home

you cant blame the fittings , only the pex itself... you need to take some better pictures
of the pex and see if you can find some names or numbers on it... Look around the water heater
above it for better lengths of pex that you can examine...

it looks like aquapex but it probably is some
junk that was sold at lowes or some other hardware store
there is no reason to chase them to the ends of the earth because
whoever it was tha t made the pipe has probably already gone under

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Is the pipe Uponor? and not PEX. Could it be because PEX type fittings where used instead of the proper fittings for a Uponor pipe. Maybe some kind of expansion and contraction thing going on.

Did the other failure happen on a short section of pipe? Uponor fittings require special fittings and special tools. You can not use it with PEX tools and fittings. Perhaps your job is not Uponor but a similar design.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Wish I could help more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks