Baseboard heat

Users who are viewing this thread

Rayh78

Reaction score
Have one small rental house that still has baseboard heat.
Have a problem with just one room. Replaced the thermostat but and heats up. But after I leave the breaker will trip.
I will try replacing the breaker. But does anyone know if a baseboard heater can go bad and have a problem like this. I thought they were more like a light bulb. Either good or bad.

thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First, I'd try to verify that when that breaker trips, the only thing that doesn't work is that baseboard heater! Over time, someone may have tapped into it for something else, and it really is overloading. Second thing, CB do fail, it could just be weak springs in the thing, and a new breaker might restore things to normal. Third, as the thing heats up, things tend to expand. Over time, if the wiring was not installed properly, it could rub, and is really shorting something, and it trips. Probably other possibilities, but that's all I can think of for now.

Rayh78

Reaction score
First, I'd try to verify that when that breaker trips, the only thing that doesn't work is that baseboard heater! Over time, someone may have tapped into it for something else, and it really is overloading. Second thing, CB do fail, it could just be weak springs in the thing, and a new breaker might restore things to normal. Third, as the thing heats up, things tend to expand. Over time, if the wiring was not installed properly, it could rub, and is really shorting something, and it trips. Probably other possibilities, but that's all I can think of for now.

Will need to wait until I go back over there. But just thinking there is a small possiability that the living room heat is on the same double 20 breaker as this bedroom heat.
If so that could be a problem. Do have #10 wire running to the wall thermostats but #12 comes back out to feed the heaters. I am right I cant have a 30 amp breaker?
Also anyone know how many feet of baseboard heat I can have on a double 20 breaker. If They are on the same breaker I think I have about 16 ft of heat total.

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You have to look at the data plate on the unit involved. Also, on something like this that is hardwired and may be on for long times, you really should have a circuit rated at 125% of the constant load if I understand the rules properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks