I Marmi Tile from Italy: Installation Tips

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
My 60 Grit Sanding Block is getting a work out on this job. So far I have invested 167.75 hours on the project with another good 120 left to go. After that I'm working for pride - not cash.... Oh Man....

To shave seconds from each tile prep - little steps like the one I show below help.

One of my rules at work is "Crap tools. Crap Job." So a sanding tool that is littered with tile dust does not sand very well. That makes it crap and makes for a crap job. So it needs to be cleaned. Keep the tool sharp and working hard creating those new factory edges....

Last edited by a moderator:

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
The bathroom is taking shape. I went in today and milled and set some more. Meet with my client to review the vanity and stone installs. Took a little extra time and offset one tile to group a corner of three tiles into looking like they where cut from one piece.

The video above shows the tile install above the large triple window. Ten tiles and the job took an entire day!

Nice looking installation John . Well worth the time investment to make the job look awesome !!!

There is something in the video I did not see .... how did you support the mitered tiles during the installation ? It looks like they hold in place without any support ?!

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Now I see them John . :) Great video :)

Cheating is a kinda constant in our world ..... the tile world . The difference is in making it look best !

Nice Ardex T-shirt ....did it come with the X32 ?:D

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
nice level collection!

167 hrs in and 120 to go. its such a crap shoot quoting these type of jobs... after the remainig 120 hrs your hourly pay may plummet but youll keep working.

nice work .

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Now I see them John . :) Great video :)

Cheating is a kinda constant in our world ..... the tile world . The difference is in making it look best !

Nice Ardex T-shirt ....did it come with the X32 ?:D

No - That is a funny story. The local Ardex Rep Don was at Pacfic Rim and he had on the nice dark Ardex shirt. They gave out the stupid crazy dude shirts that are too small last year for a promo but I hate it. I walk in see the nice dark shirt and say (word for word) "Who do I have to blow at Ardex to get that shirt?"

OMG LOL - You should have seen his face. too funny. He replies something like

"No need to get drastic - I'll grab you a shirt now..."

And he did.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
nice level collection!

167 hrs in and 120 to go. its such a crap shoot quoting these type of jobs... after the remainig 120 hrs your hourly pay may plummet but youll keep working.

nice work .

I knew this would be a beast of a job. I planned on 6 weeks so I quoted for 8. So far I'm right on schedule.....

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
So John,

How long have you let your thinset cure and when will this get grouted?

then how long do you imtend to let your grout of choice cure before re- introducing it to water?

then how long until seal and allow client to shower?

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Looking good for a steam in February Erik.

How is this project looking John? as I look back at past work i see ways to improve, here you have gone above and beyond with vein details.... nice work.

on this ceramic/porcelain job a while back I wished i had more time for perfection!!

image.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks