Sprung a leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Try2FixItFirst

Reaction score
All right. My water heater sprung a leak on top of the water heater where the pipe/hose is connected for the hot water outlet. I shut off the he heater breaker and main water line going into the house, drained the he heater, sauldered the hole, opened the pressure release valve on the he heater and the kitchen faucet, closed the drain valve, turned on main water line. Hw heater filled leak was fixed and now I have water pressure ( though not as strong as before starting this process) everywhere but the kitchen sink( which is closest faucet to hw water heater besides washer hook up) all I get from the kitchen hot or cold is a slow drip. Also i left all faucets on for more than 15 minutes while flushing the toilets periodically. Any suggestion?

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did you remove the aerator and turn on the hot water to flush out the pipe at the sink that is dripping? Clean or replace the aerator?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any time you shut the water off, drain things, then turn it back on again, that rush of water can dislodge some crud accumulated on the insides of your pipes. THis can clog things up. A few valves in the house are full-flow without restrictions, and those generally are not affected, but things with flow restrictors and sometimes inlet filters can be affected. SOmetimes, if you're lucky, you can just take it apart and clean things, sometimes, you need to replace them.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You were lucky to be able to solder the hole shut. I and most plumbers would not even waste our time trying, but would do it correctly and remove the leaking "thing" and replace it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks