Water hammer hot water only

Users who are viewing this thread

mattster1975

Reaction score
Hi - have severe water hammer with the hot water only. It's worst with the LG washing machine (even with a mini-restor at the appliance). We get it if we turn off a faucet too hard too.

Do we need to bite the bullet and just open up the ceiling and secure the pipes? Can a pressure reducing valve or expansion tank help (we have neither).

The problem seems worst in the winter when the water coming into the house is colder.

thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
I wonder if your mini rester went bad. Perhaps try another, or consider two in series.
5d004d38-5731-4ddc-808a-23000bd2f19a_145.jpg
fd3ee5fb-69c8-4f03-aec3-0db58cb78aec_145.jpg

Is this an older house? Maybe you have the older type of hammer arrestor at the faucets. Those were just some dead-end vertical pipes. Consider turning off your water and opening your highest and lowest faucets to drain the water out of yours.

An expansion tank might help. Not sure.

mini-rester-in-line.jpg

This one fits on a 3/8" shutoff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you are screwed...i got one of those stupid Lg units and they jet water into the machine constantly and the pipes at the other end of the house vibrate and shake the shit out of everything... I got a prv valve in the line and I got the thermal expansion tank too.....

I suggest on top of your water heater to install the thermal tank anyway, but on both the hot and cold lines going to the heater Install a couple of air chambers probably about 24 inches long with caps on the end.. the longer the better .they are supposed to arrest the water hammer

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
An expansion tank won't help the hammer.
Hammer arrestors help. Some water heaters used to come with ball checks in the nipples at the top of the tank. If you have those, removing and replacing with non-checks helps.

mattster1975

Reaction score
I can hear where the hammer happens. Does securing the pipes help at all? The hammer comes from right under the 2nd floor water heater so breaking open the ceiling and securing the pipes would be messy and expensive, but doable. Does securing the pipes help at all?

Would installing a pressure reducing valve at the hot water heater help?

Last edited:

mattster1975

Reaction score
It was 60 PSI at the hose bib the last time I checked (when I installed the Watts arrestor a year or so ago). I can check again - my neighborhood has boster pumps to keep pressure higher and consistent.

Can the hot pressure be higher b/c of thermal expansion of the water?

mattster1975

Reaction score
Ok - just got the new pressure gauge and the static pressure was 68 PSI at the hose bib.

Would a pressure reducing valve possibly help?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks