Leak from PRV

Users who are viewing this thread

1x99nova

Reaction score
First post, would appreciate any help. Just installed a new 40 gal elec hot water tank with a new 2 gallon expansion tank on cold water side. After finally getting it all buttoned up with no line leaks ect and checking on it several times over the next 4 hrs,....... still no leaks I went to bed. After getting up this morning I thought I would go to the basement to check it one more time. Water in the floor and I believe it's coming from the pressure relief valve. Any ideas? I tested my water pressure, (45 pounds) so I put that much air in the expansion tank so that part Is correct. I'm at a loss as I am not to familiar with plumbing so any help would be great. Thanks.......Roger

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you are calling the prv is actually called the t&p valve. The prv is the pressure regulating valve and is separate from the water heater. It controls water pressure to the house. The t&p valve is part of the water heater and opens up when the temperature or pressure gets too high. It should be piped to the outside for safety reasons and to meet code. If it drips, and there are no other known issues, I would replace it. The other alternative would be to cut the new water heater loose and haul it back in and yell at people. Quicker, cheaper, and easier to replace the valve and be done with it.
One more thing, turn the power off to the water heater if you choose to drain it down to replace the t&p valve. You may fry the top burner if you don't. It needs to be immersed in water when it cycles on.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually he's referring to the coolant feed for the rocket engines on the intergalactic space probe he's building in his basement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks