Jet Pump Relocation

Users who are viewing this thread

finkstr

Reaction score
I am in the process of adding a bedroom to my basement. Unfortunately the pipes from my two line jet pump come through the wall in the room, and since it is rather noisy, I am forced to relocate it as well as the pressure tank. The new location will be about 20 feet from the current location, making it that much closer to the water heater and softener. So, my questions are:
  • Is there any reason the pump must be located near the point where the well pipes come through the basement wall?
  • If I can relocate it, is there any effect on the flow or pressure if I run the new additional pipe up the wall, across the ceiling between the floor joists and down again th the relocated pump? (Adds 4 - 90 degree elbows in each of the 2 lines.)
  • Since the pipes will be inside the new wall cavity under drywall, is there any reason why I cannot use the black plastic pipe usually used underground? I want to minimize the possibility of leaks. Also I might be able to bend the pipe giving it a more "gentle" bend radius than with galv. pipe.
Any suggestions you might have are appreciated.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can move the pump, that's not an issue.

What is an issue is going up, across and then down with the pipes. You will be creating two giant air pockets that will make priming the pump a real pain in the ass without a little transfer pump to load the pump & lines with water.

My advise, either convert the system to a submersible or run the lines straight behind the wall over to the new location without and dips or rises in the pipes.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I agree with Craigpump. But not just priming problems. High spots in a suction line can accumulate air over time and will slug into the pump and loose prime at any time. Suction lines should have a slight slope upward from the well to the pump to keep air from accumulating.

A submersible would be best. One pipe, no priming problems, basically silent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks