Raising fixture drain

Users who are viewing this thread

dix

Reaction score
I need to raise the p-trap in the sink drain 3-4 inches, some googling has found articles suggesting that height increase should be in the current vertical and then run horizontal from that vertical to the proper height before coming out of the wall (yellow line in the diagram). Other suggestions are just to 90 from the current horizontal, going vertical to the correct height needed before coming out of the wall (green line); or to 90 sooner in the horizontal run then go vertical to the right height befrore going horizontal to the point where it comes out of the wall (red line). Not sure what is the correct way. Both the red and green line would maintain the current horizontal after the new 90.

Note - black line represents the current vertical which is actually further in the wall, but just shown at that location to fit in the picture.

P.s. I am in Ontario, Canada if that changes anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The trap arm remains horizontal all the way to the vent. Any changes in height above the vent negates the ability of the vent to prevent a siphoning of the trap.

dix

Reaction score
The trap arm remains horizontal all the way to the vent. Any changes in height above the vent negates the ability of the vent to prevent a siphoning of the trap.
Thanks... just to confirm, using the approach as indicated by the yellow line should alleviate this issue?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Even the yellow line COULD be improper. It depends on exactly HOW you run it, and as shown it might not be correct, since the photo and lines are very rudimentary.

dix

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies so far... I opened up the back wall to find where it was tied into the vertical and unfortunately it is right at the line of the bathtub making it impossible (as far as I can tell) to raise it at the vertical without removing the bathtub. Are there any other options? Am I stuck cutting into the vanity shelf? I can provide more pictures if needed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If worse comes to worse, you can add an AAV for the lav drain.
The main thing is breaking the siphon so that the trap keeps it's seal.

dix

Reaction score
They are needed. I don't know what "at the line of the bathtub" means so cannot advise without that picture.

Sorry, I have tried to take a picture but it really doesnt show it well given the tight space. Basically the vertical with the T to the drain is inside the wall with the bathtub/shower combination fixture. I opened a whole in a closet that backs on to the tub so I have the space at the back (opposite side of the skirt) and underneath of the tub to work. The current T to the drain is about 2 inches underneath the tub deck, which doesnt give me the room or access to raise the T the 3/4 inches I need in order to put a new T (the vertical is essentially in the deadspace of the the wall for the bathtub/shower fixture, the wall the vanity drain is on, and the wall of the closet - which limits the access from all sides).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
as long as you have access by means of the "wall the lavatory is on" you, or a plumber, should be able to install the new tee, if just might not be "easy" to do it. One thing that changed was the photo of the drain line in the original picture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks