venting a corner tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian Brown

Reaction score
Hi All:

I'm remodeling a bathroom, raising a new wood floor over an existing slab to give me more altitude to work with to add several new fixtures over what was there before. I've pulled a permit, but did not want to annoy the inspector with what should be an obvious question... HOW to vent the corner tub?

I'm attaching a sketch and a photo showing my dry-fit fittings so far. Venting the lav, shower, and stackable washer/dryer is shown. My conundrum is how to vent the tub without a flat vent (under the plywood), since there are no walls nearby to bring-up a 1.5" vent. Because the main 2" drain drops down before tying-into the existing 3" drain, I don't think that the code would allow this long trap arm without a vent (even if I up-size the tub to a 2" drain).

Our code here is 2009 I.P.C.

Thanks a bunch!

bathroom_venting.jpg
venting2.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your washer drains past the shower connection so the shower NEEDS its own vent, and it would be interesting to see HOW you have the trap arranged if it sits on top of the lateral line. I would use a 2" drain even WITH the proper vent. AND the tub needs one for the same reason. That looks like a pretty elaborate bathroom to be Mickey Moused on a platform.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you run the tub line off of the lav line it would be vented.
Your washer drains past the shower connection so the shower NEEDS its own vent, and it would be interesting to see HOW you have the trap arranged if it sits on top of the lateral line. I would use a 2" drain even WITH the proper vent. AND the tub needs one for the same reason. That looks like a pretty elaborate bathroom to be Mickey Moused on a platform.

Good catch on the washer there.
That would do a good job siphoning the tub and the shower alright.

Brian Brown

Reaction score
If you run the tub line off of the lav line it would be vented.

Good catch on the washer there.
That would do a good job siphoning the tub and the shower alright.

Good catch indeed! Attached is a revised sketch with the tub draining into the lav line, all 2" plumbing.

The shower base will be a custom tile unit that I'll build, so I'll put the drain and trap off-line of the drain line.

Does this design seem more copasetic?

Thank you!!
bathroom_v2.JPG

Brian Brown

Reaction score
OK, "back to the drawing board..." I was able to find a reference copy of the 2009 IPC at my local library, and this helps a lot. I also found it online. Now, interpreting the code is another matter altogether, though.

I also figured-out how to draw iso's, so that should help visualize the connections. (see below)

The following design has a combination waste vent section in order to avoid a horizontal vent for the tub. Section 912 of the IPC addresses this.... http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ipc/2009/icod_ipc_2009_9_sec012.htm However, I might be hosed by the ability to only serve "floor drains, sinks, lavatories and drinking fountains." Am I combo waste venting the tub, the lav, or both?

Thanks!

bath_vent_3.PNG

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
you have a 'wet vent'. A "combo waste and vent system" is a completely different "animal" which would never be used in a home, and usually only in warehouses and factories, which is why they specify the fixtures it can be used with. Do it EXACTLY like the drawing, using the proper fittings, which are not shown, and it will work properly.

Brian Brown

Reaction score
you have a 'wet vent'. A "combo waste and vent system" is a completely different "animal" which would never be used in a home, and usually only in warehouses and factories, which is why they specify the fixtures it can be used with. Do it EXACTLY like the drawing, using the proper fittings, which are not shown, and it will work properly.

Wonderful. Thanks so much for your time and expertise, HJ, I really appreciate it!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks