Lining steel well casing

Users who are viewing this thread

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
LL, I have an easy solution for that! We don't do water treatment of any kind besides the occasional sediment filter or UV light... All my water treatment work is referred to my friend down the street.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Cragpump, have you ever seen poly used for well casing? The stuff can be fusion butt welded so no inside or outside couplers needed. I wondered if it came in sizes that could fit inside an old steel casing and not have the bulk of couplers as with PVC.

Jack Hammett

Reaction score
I may have misunderstood about the shroud. Do you mean make the shroud out of a 5' length of 4" PVC slotted well screen, cap on the bottom, well seal on the top, to filter out any rust from getting in the pump? When I searched for shroud, I came up with what looked like 4" solid pipe open at bottom for better cooling of pump.
Yes, experience is key. Thanks

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I think craig proposed solid, not slotted. The idea of the shroud is that whatever is raining down on the pump will slip past the intake. Since the opening on the bottom is so large, the velocity of the water would be slow enough so as not to raise the particulate therefore acting as a separator.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah use a piece of solid pipe a few feet longer than the pump. I use sch 40, I doubt anything thinner would have the integrity to hold on to a well seal. Campbell makes a screen and seal assy, that would probably work too but for more $$$$

I don't know about poly well casing....seems like a pain in the ass to me plus I dont know what you would gain, finding someone with a 6" fusion iron might be tough too...I'd much rather use solid 4" and a Jaswell packer along with a few straps to keep the 4" from slipping down the hole.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks