Sewer gas from garage floor drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Davej

Reaction score
I have a floor drain in the center of my garage. Over the summer, we smelled sewer gas coming out of it, so I poured some water in there - I haven't really smelled sewer gas in there since. However, I keep noticing the water level dropping below this other pipe that intersects with the drain pipe. Can anyone tell me what I am looking at? See the attached pictures. That pipe that is perpendicular to the drain pipe is 20" down from my garage floor. I keep having to add water every couple weeks.

Perhaps pertinent info:

1) House was built in 1991
2) A plumber told me it just add water to it. Said it was tied into sanitary sewer so the water can get treated - storm sewers dump into lake erie and are not treated, so any garage chemicals/fluids would go straight into the lake.
3) My toilets drain very weak/slowly. I had a different plumber than #2 look at it - he blamed it on my 20yr old builder grade briggs toilets. He suggested replacing one and reevaluating. Replacement toilet (toto) arrived, will be installed after Thanksgiving. He inspected the vent stack on my roof and it was open - he had me flush a toilet while he was on the roof. I don't have any drain complaints with my sinks, tubs or showers.

Attachments

• garage1.jpg
    garage1.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 708
  • garage2.JPG
    garage2.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 762

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are not liking adding water every 2 weeks, you could use vegetable oil instead.

New toilet is a good idea.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am not sure what the photos are showing but a lateral pipe above the water line usually comes from some auxiliary drain connected to it. Some one may have wanted to sell you a toilet, because toilets do NOT "wear out", but can need servicing by a qualified plumber.

Davej

Reaction score
I am not sure what the photos are showing but a lateral pipe above the water line usually comes from some auxiliary drain connected to it.

If I pour a bucket of water into the floor drain, that lateral pipe that intersects it is below the water line for a couple weeks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it were installed properly there would NOT be any room inside the trap for the pipe to be connected below the water level. As a side note, most areas do NOT want to treat "garage floor wastes" so the do not allow them to be connected to EITHER the storm sewer or the sanitary sewer. Commercial garages have to capture them and have a "haz mat" company dispose of them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks