Water line foundation penetration call-back.

Users who are viewing this thread

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I made a pipe repair on a HDPE water line just outside a foundation, maybe a month ago. Just got a call from the customer; he has water coming in through the penetration in the poured foundation; his original complaint. Whereas, the pipe had been kinked at the time of the original installation and my resection stopped the resulting leakage, I may have come up short on resealing the pipe as it enters the foundation. I packed it pretty well with hydraulic cement on the outside before backfilling my dig.
Well, it's been raining like a cow on a flat rock for the last 18 hours, and water has been coming through the basement wall. It stopped shortly after the rain stopped, so there's your smoking gun. Luckily his home office desk is about eight feet away from the hole in the foundation, and he was able to throw down towels and set out buckets as soon as he heard the water coming in.
Now, I need to come up with a plan for tomorrow. The biggest consideration is what kind of sealant to use, inside and/or outside to stop the madness. Any advice or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The problem with poly is that nothing really adheres to it although silicon works pretty good.

I like to pack oakum into the hole around the poly. I use the next size up pipe to pack it in, 1" pipe, 1.25 pipe to pack the oakum. Then I use hydraulic cement inside and out. Finally I scuff up the poly with plumbers cloth and use a 4" wide brush and paint roofing tar over the area on the outside before I backfill. Scuffing the poly helps with adhesion.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Craigpump. I liked the oakum idea, but didn't have the time to go chasing down a supply. So, I grabbed a roll of jute twine and a tube of silicone rated for underwater applications, and created my own recipe. Customer made it sound like he had something like Niagara Falls in his basement, but when I got there it was more like a mouse peeing on a flat pebble, and even that had stopped. Inch and a half of water in a five-gallon bucket. But, a leak is a leak. He had told me that he would put hydraulic cement on the inside and put an extension on the downspout adjacent to the penetration out front, but he never did. So guess what. I appreciate the good and thoughtful advice. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks