How to test your shower's tile

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Soak testing your tile selection is a simple step that can alert you to problems you might not have expected.

Last edited:

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Im about to set A good amount of polished Marmara Linear mosaic, client bought very affordably online....Ill grab a sheet today and soak it this weekend see what comes..

Last month I had a client soak test her online glass mosaic purchase....After a few days submerged all glue and mesh intact.......

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
The marble tiles with the mesh in the back are epoxy reinforced . The epoxy and the mesh become part -- fused -- of the marble tile . The humidity will not affect the epoxy backing , but the bond to it is most of the concern .

If tiles are not loose , the polish of the tiles can present some challenges if the quality is not there . If you have water drops staining , it can either be hard to be cleaned or some minor etching is present on the polished surface . Polishing the surface to an original factory finish is probably best , but hard to say with certainty if you do not see the actual installation .

Marble is much more difficult to preserve than porcelain tiles , but some like the patina and daily use markings on it .

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
im about to soaktest the marmara polished linear mosaic im installing.

do you guys use the same water source as the shower? to soak

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
image.jpg

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
its a long holiday weekend! this test will be 6 days when i check it!

very little glue holding mesh on. surely water base.

i used the source water the shower will be subject to.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
after 6 days the tile has mostly fallen off the mesh, the water ever so slightly cloudy, and no funky smell.

the tiles themselves have some re-emulsified glue on back of them. the tiles show no discoloration or negatives.

i have installed a lot of mosaic mesh backed tiles over the years. not one problem.

hmmmmm????

a water base adhesive offers up move-ability of the tiles themselves .....as you install and the adhesive releases .........as the thinset sets up you have a window of time to correct bad joints.

John? Roberto?

why do some companys spot adhere there mesh with a non- water base adhesive? that wont re emulsify?

i know for sure 1 thing. Paper faced mosaics are the best and always cost a premium price such as bizazza glass

but these are larger turkish marmara.

hmmmmm?

The tile installer has a lot to worry about.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks