When a homeowner tries to save a buck! HELP

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
The home owner roughed the basement in and poored concrete. Its so bad I dont even know where to start. I did rough in the upper floor and that is all plumbed and vented right but I didn't tie it in to the sewer line yet.

I didn't really look much at what he did until Friday evening right before i was about to tie it in.

Heres a small part where he left me to tie in

Attachments

• aaa.png
    aaa.png
    84.6 KB · Views: 301

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The homeowner's job, as I see it, is to snatch all the joy out of my life. They do crazy s***, thinking they're being smart. Getting the tile man and the plumber on the job at the same time in order to "get the job done". Totally for their convenience, of course. Tile people are even grumpier than plumbers, if that's possible. Bad idea. That's just the beginning. But, as I've said before, most people are nice.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its funny because he cares more about a vent being in the way of his storage area in the attic then fully function plumbing
If you deliberately do it wrong to keep his storage tidy, it may come back and bite you in the backside later. You'll get the blame. Some folks think that way.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The way you write that is so funny. I'm laughing hard.

Okay, here's one. I was "helping" someone repipe their home. They thought it would save them money. It never does. It's always slower having to teach at the same time. At one point it tells me he has three doctor degrees in various subjects. So therefore, he knows more about plumbing than me. I just laughed.
I came from a family where some of us had doctors degrees, and we knew enough to know when to get help. He did some things his way, against my advice. Later during trim, which he did on his own, he called to tell me he was burning his cabinet. Yep.....that's why I stub out and use compression stops. Maybe a plumber can use a torch in an enclosed area like that and not burn the house down, but not a good start for a homeowner.
Stuff I know...........tons of stuff about how mechanical things work. I have a third sense for it. I'm spatial. I can walk plans in my head.
Things I have a hard time with. Peoples names. Part numbers; no problem, names, not so much. Speaking a second language. That's really hard for me. Ask me how to fix something, or design a home from stratch, easy.
I was doing CAD, self taught in the mid 80's. I can tear an engine down, and rebuild it so it runs perfectly.
But now I drop it off and pay someone to do an oil change. I don't need to do everything.

By the way, that plumbing in the slab is going to be problems. And homeowners don't understand plumbing. It's not something you leave out and GOD takes care of you. You need the dang vent.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did a house for a guy from Bulgaria. He was an MD in his home country. He also had a degree in engineering. He insisted on K copper to do the house. I mean to the fixtures. Drove me nuts. I put in a water meter in the basement so that he could monitor and accordingly, charge his future tenant for water usage. Everybody involved in doing this house sooner or later walked off the job, including the best helper I ever had. I was going to finish mine. Couldn't do it. I walked it too. Only twice in my life have I ever done that. The other one was for a headshrinker.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I always refer home owners to this sign

If they worked on it first, you don't have to charge extra, because the extra time it takes to undo what they did will usually cover it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks