Can't Remove Bonnet To Repair Bathtub Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Soca

Reaction score
I have a steady drip coming from my bathtub faucet ( single handle Valley back-to-back style cartridge ). I can't loosen the bonnet. I've tried a few applications of Liquid Wrench but no success. I'm afraid to bear down too much for fear of causing other damage. ( BTW, just to be sure, with these plumbing fixtures is counterclockwise untighten ? ) Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would heat it with a torch, but a blow dryer MIGHT get it hot enough to loosen the corrosion which has built up. When I use a torch, I heat the cap a bit then try to loosen it, if not I repeat it. When the temperature is correct it will unscrew like it has been greased. You will probably need a new core assembly and maybe a cap insert.

jasper1372

Reaction score
I have a steady drip coming from my bathtub faucet ( single handle Valley back-to-back style cartridge ). I can't loosen the bonnet. I've tried a few applications of Liquid Wrench but no success. I'm afraid to bear down too much for fear of causing other damage. ( BTW, just to be sure, with these plumbing fixtures is counterclockwise untighten ? ) Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure exactly how your faucet comes apart, but assuming it's similar to my Delta tub/shower faucet, this is a trick I learned from this forum a few years ago that helped me tremendously. The bonnet on mine was brass and quite thin. I used channel locks to try and get it off and it wouldn't budge. The harder I tried, the tighter I gripped and it wouldn't move.

Someone suggested that I was actually compressing the bonnet to much into the threads below, and a lighter touch might work better. They also suggested that I should grip only near the front edge which wasn't where the threads were and use a fairly light touch......presto ! In seconds it moved and in a few more seconds I had it off.

Sounded counterintuitive at first, but if you think about, it makes sense. The more you squeeze the bonnet into the threads below...the tighter it makes the connection. A lighter touch works better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks