Kink in copper service line

Users who are viewing this thread

Rock/Lex

Reaction score
I'm a contractor. A new 3/4" copper line was just run from meter to basement of a house via a boring machine. During the looping of the pipe into a wall, the pipe was kinked, similar to the attached recreation photo.
My question is this: is the lesser evil to live with the kink buried or a soldered joint buried?
Plumber thinks the kink is the lesser. I think the soldered joint is. What say you?
Thanks.
Rock

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2,941

Sluggo

Reaction score
I'm a contractor. A new 3/4" copper line was just run from meter to basement of a house via a boring machine. During the looping of the pipe into a wall, the pipe was kinked, similar to the attached recreation photo.
My question is this: is the lesser evil to live with the kink buried or a soldered joint buried?
Plumber thinks the kink is the lesser. I think the soldered joint is. What say you?
Thanks.
Rock
I'd cut it out and solder on a 3/4" slip coupling; you might need to use two couplings with a short length of copper line connecting them if you have a lot to cut out because of existing damage/distortion. However, I'm not a plumber and I don't know if code would require brazed joints. Is the location of the kink something that would be buried or not?

In any case I can understand why the plumber likes the option of no more work...

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Unless the joint is under concrete, it can be soldered.
I've never seen a Lead Free joint fail unless it just wasn't done right to begin with.
I've seen 50/50 joints fail.

Rock/Lex

Reaction score
Thanks for your (pl.) responses...appreciate it. The kinked portion of the pipe would be in the dirt under a concrete patched and tiled portion of a basement floor.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If that is INSIDE the building, then solder joints are NOT allowed there. A cold water kinked pipe should not have any problem, but that depends on how badly it is kinked. Good practice would dictate it either be pulled and replaced or the joint be made outside the building.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
If that is INSIDE the building, then solder joints are NOT allowed there. A cold water kinked pipe should not have any problem, but that depends on how badly it is kinked. Good practice would dictate it either be pulled and replaced or the joint be made outside the building.
Are you talking about under a slab?

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Code wants a silver solder under a concrete slab.
If it's between the meter and the home, with only dirt for cover, then you can solder.
Within the foundation, under the concrete slab, silver solder.
Our code must be diff, anything buried here must be silver soldered. Unless i was misinformed

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
We are the same way here. Under concrete silver solder, outdoors soft solder. One of the grocery stores here had the entire 2" overhead copper line silver soldered. There was a water hammer situation and since the tee was weakened by the heat of silver soldering, the 1/2" branch broke off the tee, and flooded the store.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks