Replacement Bathtub Drain Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Schwarz633

Reaction score
I'm replacing my 2nd floor bathtub and was surprised to see slip fittings in the original installation as there is no access panel.

DSCF0969.jpg

The drain for the new tub is about 1/2" further from both walls, so I'll need to reconstruct the glued trap. I'll probably have to cut the 45 street elbow that is partially hidden in the picture off of the horizontal run and start from there. Is it OK to just duplicate what's there, or should all of the slip joints be eliminated? Is that even possible? The RH wall is a closet, should I just put an access panel in? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
All of that can be replaced with solvent weld (glued) fittings. We do it all the time. It just takes some good measurements. I like to assemble the waste and overflow on the tub first, then remove it and install it on the p-trap, then drop the tub down over it.
Most of the time when I install a new tub, I'm also removing and replacing the p-trap. I don't worry too much about what was there. It's going to be gone.

tub-drain-fittings-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited:

Schwarz633

Reaction score
Should I be looking for something like this:

b07103-1.jpg

get an elbow & pipe and then just solvent weld it all together on the tub? Then remove the assembly from the tub, rebuild the trap, and solvent weld it all together in the proper location? I'm thinking it's best to have the trap under the drain instead of the overflow, I've seen both types of kit? Then just drop the tub in with the gaskets in place and screw in the drain and overflow?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's how we do it. Except that I normally place the trap under the overflow location. Either way works though.

accord_wild_03.jpg

Last edited:

Schwarz633

Reaction score
I don't want to fight the 2x4 that's between the joists on the overflow end so I've ordered a Watco 917-FA-PVC-BN half kit with drain tee. Plus I like the idea of the trap being below the drain in case I have to snake it out. Thanks for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks