HB with S's drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
No the sky light was sat overtop ganged up dimension lumber. Like 8 layers or something.

Looked dodgy. I used some 8+9 to block any moisture and give me a way of bonding to one side of the sky light well that was out of wack. You would not be impressed with what I did.... lol I even used Duct Tape! lol

I see a dark picture forming . LOL

I know you will do the best with what you have . Just stay away from the limits -- safe side -- of the built .

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I see a dark picture forming . LOL

I know you will do the best with what you have . Just stay away from the limits -- safe side -- of the built .

Limits.... I don't like those... Aim for the stars baby. Or in this case - steam with the stars baby!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Normally , the dome shape is acrylic and if you tap on it you will know .

The distance in between the layers is smaller then a regular glass one .

Glass would be best . Acrylic tends to expand and contract much more .... in normal applications it wouldn't be a problem , but where you have it installed , it will have a work out for sure -- gaskets --.

Tricky installation for sure .

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I'll try and get on the roof and figure this out. Not tonight.

I'm bagged. Heading out to watch some soccer and have a cocktail. Back at it tomorrow to make up the time I lost today.....

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
What game are you going to watch ?

I did watch some Champions league this week .... those germans -Bayern - crashed the italiens - Roma -- 7 -1 .

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
John,

in regards to skylight, when i work on a project like this, I may have a clause in my contract releasing me from any and all short/longterm liability in regards to the skylight, leaks that result from it, and especially the chances of it breaking due to it being non tempered and installed in a steamroom environ at the peak of the steams rising path.

call me crazy but i no longer accept verbal agreements for these situations.

after you educate them on the possible failure, you can only do your best in these uncharted waters.....to try and realize their poor design ideal.

again there is no guidebook for pioneers.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
What game are you going to watch ?

I did watch some Champions league this week .... those germans -Bayern - crashed the italiens - Roma -- 7 -1 .

Local match. North Van vs Port Coquitlam.

Great game.

Ended 1-0 N.Van

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
point being , you john are tasked with things daily in the real world on a jobsite, different challenges you must conquer.

surely you are doing a great job as usual with the skylight detail, this homeowner after what they have had to deal with now has you hyperfocused on these minute details.110%

in regards to the ignore feature:

"every chef the world over, relies daily on the produce at hand. the recipe book has no say. our friend jim deals only in preserved and canned goods."

-xoxo redshoe

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
ok now i see..... in and out corners for youre slip joint... of course!

challenging job......lookin good...

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I think there are some '' pioneering '' -- credit to RSCB -- work to do which could make it work . :)

Have a good one , John !

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm sure you men get it. There are the rules. There is doing the right thing every time. And there is feeding your kids. Keeping your wife's stress level down.
Read John's signature line, and see how this stacks up. "When it's perfect, it's good enough."

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Could you show us where or what the TCNA recommends for the skylight in a steam shower ?

Where in the ANSI standards -- tile and stone installation -- the skylights are mentioned ?

We do what we do 'cause we need to feed our family among other things . We devote part of our free time to also improve the industry , our knowledge and exchange opinions . It is not always perfect , but we push the limits to make it happen . :)

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Roberto - I mentioned before there is no recommendations at all to follow. None for sky lights and non for windows. These installs that feature windows and skylights are all outside of any company's recommendations and can not be done.

Unless of course your installer feels like he can.

I know , the comment was not for you , John . It was for the insistent on standards buddy of ours.

I know you will try to do your best with the application at hand . :)

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
tempered glass is 1 big key here..... good for you and the homeowner.

maybe someone was thinking ahead afterall....

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Roberto I got up on the roof yesterday and inspected the skylight. It is a commercial window. It has no dome shape. It is glass. Tempered Safety Glass.

The framing for the skylight has gotten both a torch on membrane and some custom metal work flashing.

There are some messed up weep holes on this sky light freaking me out. I'm glad I did the roof top inspection because you could not see them well from below.

This camera of mine sucks. The pictures are poor but will post a couple for you.

Thanks again for the phone call the other day - it was great discussing this project with you over the phone.

I'm glad you did John . I think it is important to check it out .

It was a pleasure to talk to you , John . :)

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
OMG - Shit Show.

So I picked up the plywood protection down over the Kerdi shower floor with Kerdi Line Drain. Cleaned up the edges and found so much crappy work.

Three holes in Kerdi.

Kerdi Line Drain installed level the long way but out 1/8" across the short side.

Improper slope.

Flat Spots.

Modified thin-set used to install Kerdi

Kerdi Line drain has lip around it - almost like the mortar bed shrank and left it higher....

What a gong show. Now I need to repair it - or rip it out.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks