Dragged this out of my barn a couple weeks ago. Good times, good times....lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 344

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I filled the tank with white gas and I'll be damned if it didn't fire right up. Maybe I'll use it to deep fry the thanksgiving turkey. That's pretty much all I do with my gas one anymore.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your guess is correct. Newer ones are generally gas fired. This one dates back to the 1920's

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The last one my father had used a Propane tank, he used it for melting Babbitt for crank & rod bearings.

The guy could do damn near anything

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank God for plastic. For sure I'd be doing something else for a living right now. Want fries with that?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't go around feeling unappreciated. Not yet, anyway. Went on a call ten years ago, tub drain was clogged up to beat the band. I went in and worked on it for a while to no avail. Went down to the unfinished basement to explore the possibility of breaking into the waste line and maybe attacking the clog from that angle. It was a small bathroom done in cast iron with leaded joints, late fifties or early sixties. I was thinking on the way down the steps that, worst case, I could cut out the trap and go back in with plastic with a no-hub or fernco. Find or remove the clog right there and keep on truckin.
Well, what I ran into was a virtuoso performance by some plumber at the top of his game. I couldn't break into the system without taking in all down. There was no pipe there, just fitting to fitting. The iron trap with the brass c/o in the side went right into a wye to catch the lavatory, which went into a long sweep in 2" to the right which went into a 3" wye to catch the toilet, then another long sweep around heading toward the pipe going out.
The plumber brought the bathroom group together in cast iron, leaded joints, without cutting any pipe at all. He put all this together in his brain, then made it work.
Just got to admire that kind of skill.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When you used threaded galvanized piping, with bell and spigot cast iron, you learned to do it EFFICIENTLY. That is why I sort of smile when I see the "typical two story waste and vent" drawing. It is okay for plastic, but in the "old days" we would have simplified it immensely to do the same thing.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Like HJ said in another post,

You pay him for what he knows, not what he does

The Helper does the work, If you are lucky to have one. Then you make sure it is correct.

I do miss the days when I could do everything, with no help.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don, yeah I miss those days too.....but it's cool training someone and seeing him actually learn something worthwhile

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Don, yeah I miss those days too.....but it's cool training someone and seeing him actually learn something worthwhile

When I worked at NASA one of my duties was teaching electronics to Fresh new College kids.

It was fun, but made me wonder how they ever got their Degree.

Strange how you can not learn everything from a book.

hj, I can dig it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks