How to avoid burnout when soldering?

Users who are viewing this thread

lmei007

Reaction score
I have some soldering experiences on 1/2" and 3/4" pipes with propane. I am confident my skill on them.

Today I just tried 1" with MAPP. The first joint is a 1"x1"x1/2" tee. It turned out a nightmare. It was burnout. I have to redo it.

It seems that when the temperature reach to the point needed by the lead-free solder, the flux is also burnout. I am using #95 tinning flux. All materials are bought from HomeDepot.

Or I applied the solder too late?

How do you avoid the burnout? Is there a way to repair the burnout joints?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the joint is a leaker, then it needs to be removed, cleaned and refluxed.
There's no way around that.

With a large joint, it helps to touch the solder every so often to see how it's doing. It's really the only clue you will ever get.
Even heat on all sides is a help, and don't forget to warm the pipes too.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have some soldering experiences on 1/2" and 3/4" pipes with propane. I am confident my skill on them.

Today I just tried 1" with MAPP. The first joint is a 1"x1"x1/2" tee. It turned out a nightmare. It was burnout. I have to redo it.

It seems that when the temperature reach to the point needed by the lead-free solder, the flux is also burnout. I am using #95 tinning flux. All materials are bought from HomeDepot.

Or I applied the solder too late?

How do you avoid the burnout? Is there a way to repair the burnout joints?
Sounds like you have to move the torch around more, avoid flaming one spot to long

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Is that burn out or blow out ?

The proper Tip and how to use it works for me.

Real solder and flux helps also.

I use the stuff that may kill you, but only if you live in California.

Living in Texas has it advantages.

We still have Lead Bullets here. They work Great.

Good luck.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Water soluble flux is very difficult to work with because you only have a narrow window between making the solder flow and burning the flux. Once it is burnt, you have to redo the joint completely.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Since I don't do this all that often, I really hate the water based fluxes, but have had pretty good success with the tinning fluxes - it's normally pretty easy to see when the solder in the tinning flux melts, then you know you should be able to add the solder to fill it in. But, as the pros stress, you do have to move the torch around to heat things evenly so one part doesn't get overheated before the others are hot enough. Takes a little finesse and practice, especially if you don't do it every day.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; .... Just remember to use lots of flux before you put your sharkbite on.

I assume Sharkbite is like Guest and says to NOT get chemicals, including flux, on the pipe or fitting. As far as flux goes, they tell you NOT to "slather" it on, use the minimum possible.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
You might want to practice on a few sacrificial fittings out in the open -- it's a lot less frustrating. Maybe even cut one open to see how you did...

GOT2LEARN

Reaction score
I have a video on this that explains it all:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks