Can brine tank be placed farther from the softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Jastrong

Reaction score
Need to place the brine tank approximately 7 to 9 feet from the softener due to recent unavoidable crowding issues and don't want it too far out into the middle of the garage. It comes with about a 4 to 5 foot brine tube. Can one go to the hardware store and get a longer one and would this mess up the softener with a longer brine tube?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have done what you are talking about any number of times, just buy a few more feet than what you will need and put in between the system and the salt/brine tank. Make sure that the tube inserts are moved to the new tubing and the plastic nut assemblies with all the parts are put onto the new tubing like the old tubing and life should be good.
Make sure that the tube run is done in away that makes sure that it is safe and out of the way ..

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Up to 15 feet is fine with Clack, Fleck, or Autotrol valves. I have not tested the knock-offs with extended brine line runs. I have run lines in excess of 70 feet with only minor modifications to the injectors and settings.

Reach4

Reaction score
Another data point: http://www.peerlesswater.com/files/documents/30 FME-XTR Service Manual.pdf says
Maximum distance and size for brine line: 15' horizontal (see note) using 1/4" ID poly tubing
NOTE: The horizontal distance for the brine tank can be increasted to 35' if the brine tank is
installed above the unit.
EXAMPLE: Softener installed in the basement and brine tank installed on 1st floor. The brine
tank CANNOT be installed below the bottom of the unit.
I am not suggesting that this applies to all softeners. I just found it a bit interesting, even if they forgot to run it through the spell checker.

ditttohead

Reaction score
It is actually a lot more complex than that and there instructions are very generic and safe. Tubing size, length, height, pressure, drain line height, temperature and many other factors need to be considered. We regularly installed the softeners on the second floor or the roof and the brine tanks were on the ground level. Again, several factors need to be considered and calculated and a little experience can make for some great installations. Planet Hollywoods softener in Los Angeles is a great example, the softener is right next to the car on the roof. If you ever see an aerial shot of the building you will see a softener up there right next to the car, but the salt tank is in the parking structure of the building approximately 100 feet away. Getting out on the roof is a pain so the guys filling the salt tank were complaining (understandably) so the salt tank was relocated where filling was easy. It took a little experimenting to get it right, but 100'... no problem, sort of. :)

ImDD

Reaction score
It is actually a lot more complex than that and there instructions are very generic and safe. Tubing size, length, height, pressure, drain line height, temperature and many other factors need to be considered. We regularly installed the softeners on the second floor or the roof and the brine tanks were on the ground level. Again, several factors need to be considered and calculated and a little experience can make for some great installations. Planet Hollywoods softener in Los Angeles is a great example, the softener is right next to the car on the roof. If you ever see an aerial shot of the building you will see a softener up there right next to the car, but the salt tank is in the parking structure of the building approximately 100 feet away. Getting out on the roof is a pain so the guys filling the salt tank were complaining (understandably) so the salt tank was relocated where filling was easy. It took a little experimenting to get it right, but 100'... no problem, sort of. :)

I have a 6700XTR and in my installation the bottom of the brine tank will be 5ft below the bottom of the resin tank. Will this work? Are there changes I need to make to the "normal" setup to get it to work?

ditttohead

Reaction score
No problem at all. Up or down 10 feet no changes are typically needed assuming you have at least 50 PSI.

6700XTR, cool valve... excellent programmability, easy to maintain.

ImDD

Reaction score
No problem at all. Up or down 10 feet no changes are typically needed assuming you have at least 50 PSI.

Thanks answering my question, and for confirming that my setup will work. The water pressure from the pump / pressure tanks will range from 40 to 60 PSI.

ImDD

Reaction score

Got my softener system all setup and working!
Now, I have a few questions on the programming.

My system is 2 cu.ft using SST-60 resin, and I have a KDF-85 filter.
The well water is 18gpg + 1ppm iron + 0.1ppm Mg.
With 3 people @ 60 gal/day, I computed the required capacity is about 4000 gr/day.

If I want to minimize salt dose at 3lbs/cu.ft, that would give a salt dose capacity of 25600, and I should be able to regenerate every 6-7 days, right?
Or, is the SST-60 even more efficient than the "regular" resin?

And, I determined that the brine fill is 0.25gpm. So, is the salt dose set just by changing the BF time assuming about 2.5lbs of salt per gallon of water?

Certain times of the year, there might be no water use during the week and only on weekends. During these times, what would be the best programming setup? Should the override for the max days between regenerations be 14 days? Or can it be more?

Thanks for any help!

Reach4

Reaction score
If I want to minimize salt dose at 3lbs/cu.ft, that would give a salt dose capacity of 25600, and I should be able to regenerate every 6-7 days, right?
Or, is the SST-60 even more efficient than the "regular" resin?

And, I determined that the brine fill is 0.25gpm. So, is the salt dose set just by changing the BF time assuming about 2.5lbs of salt per gallon of water?

http://www.purolite.com/Customized/...oliteProductsManagement/Resources/rid_398.pdf page 4 says you could get 14800 grains of capacity per cubic ft of SST-60 giving 34500 grains at 3 pounds/cubic ft of salt. That compares to I don't know how that would be affected by the iron. I don't know if you should be running 3 pounds of salt/cuft with the iron. I don't know if your KDF-85 will eliminate or even significantly reduce the iron. I suspect that you will not be able to measure the iron making it through the KDF-85 to your softener. So you might need to compensate the hardness number up a a bit.

Salt dose is computed at 3 pounds per gallon of water injected into the brine tank.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks