Tape on Water Heater Connector That Has Gasket? Vertex Blue Caps on Connector Question

Users who are viewing this thread

cloves

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am in the middle of installing a new copper flex line to my new water heater (See picture). This connector has a female thread that connects to the water heater and a gasket that sits inside the female thread. Question, do I need to use tape on the male thread since there is a gasket on the female?

Second question that just popped up. This is a AO Smith Vertex and both the cold water and hot water pipe (MPT) have blue caps with trap doors that open and close. I thought these were just protection caps that needed to come off but now I am thinking they are made to stay on there? No mention in the instructions. (See Picture)

Attachments

• Water Heater Connector.jpg
    Water Heater Connector.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 307
Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The water heater flex with rubber washer installs without tape. Tape can only cause a problem there. If a strand of tape overlays where the rubber gasket fits, it can create a gap.
Tape around the threads just adds more resistence when threading down. And it serves no purpose.

The pipe nipples have heat traps. Leave those there.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Tape on a thread that does not need it is usually "neutral". It doesn't do any good, but doesn't do any harm either., sort of like Drano in a sink drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks