Help needed - non standard curbless shower install

Users who are viewing this thread

bobinmadison

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum and could use some expert advice. I would like to install a curbless shower with linear drain in our new master bath. The bath is part of a new addition to our house (recently framed). I am an experienced DIY'er and have installed floor tile before, but never a shower system. The planned size of this double shower is rather large (4' x 8' rectangle) and I am thinking of running the drain along one of the 8’ walls. The floor is framed with I-joists and ¾” sheathing (I-joists run parallel to 8' shower dimension). I would like to keep the entry to the shower the same elevation as the rest of the bath (no curb) for ADA (wheelchair) access. Because I need pitch for the drain and I can’t notch the I-joists, I am thinking of removing the existing sheathing in the shower area and nailing some ledgers on both sides of the I-joists. I would then lay down sheathing between the I-joists such that the sheathing bears on the ledgers and is flush with the top of the I-joists. This would lower the shower area by ¾”.

My questions are these:

1) Does this scheme seem feasible and is lowering the shower area by ¾” going to allow enough pitch to drain over the 4’ run across the shower?

2) Because this is a non standard size shower, what would be the best way to create the pitch and waterproof the shower? I would like to use a prefab shower system (Kerdi, Laticrete, etc) to save time, but all seem to assume a standard sized area (32x60, 42x42, etc). Any suggestions on the best shower system for a non standard size? Or, do I have to go with a mortar bed for this shower? Any advice and suggestions on how to construct this shower would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Cheers, bob

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Bob in Madison,

lots to take in here in your post, can you sketch something on paper ? take a few pics of room layout and joist direction and span? are we dealing with any exterior walls ? etc etc lots of loopholes ??

how do you intend to sister to a TGI ? is a good starting point.... you sure you are dealing with tgi's ? microlams? truss?

you will also be needing to raise subfloor and have a reducer threshold at bathroom entry most likely..

lots to touch on....any pics? drawings?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
..... I would like to use a prefab shower system (Kerdi, Laticrete, etc) to save time, but all seem to assume a standard sized area (32x60, 42x42, etc). ....

Good luck with that. Careful how you walk on the foam. It's prone to denting....

Anything foam based shower pan or backer board in a word - SUCKS.

If you must use a prefab system then look into Quick Drain USA'a stuff. I stopped selling them a year or so back and switch to soley ACO Shower drains.

ACO makes no shower kit. These kits are designed for hotel installers who are required to build 13 shower per day.

Last edited:

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
A small bird told me -- You guys loose your time with this , just saying -- .

{{{{{{ Give a call to the mfgs and they will solve your problems . No need for installers it seems . Just someone at the end of the line . :oops: }}}}}}

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks