Water comes from sprayer instead of faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Caudill

Reaction score
I just bought a house that has a Delta Victorian faucet in the kitchen. http://www.deltafaucet.com/parts/id-my-product/kitchen/product.html?sku=155-SS-DST#wiz

The issue is when I turn on the water it comes out of the sprayer instead of the faucet, when I press the button on the sprayer only then will it come out of the faucet. It appears that something is backwards to have the water primarily come out of the sprayer instead of the faucet.

Any thoughts?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You are confusing me, because water should NOT be able to come out of the sprayer unless the button is pressed, which means it should NOT run when you turn the faucet on, and pushing the button SHOULD TURN IT ON, not off, so I cannot imagine how it could work the way you describe it.

Caudill

Reaction score
Precisely, that is why I'm confused myself. It appears to be set up backwards, and I'm not sure why. When you turn on the water it comes out of the sprayer and when you press the button on the sprayer it comes out of the faucet. I have no idea how to fix the issue.

Caudill

Reaction score
I can submit a video of the faucet showing how to it works if that helps or if I am allowed to upload videos to the site.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
NOt familiar with the specifics of that, but to have that happen, the diverter would have to be sticking. But, if it is, I don't see how pressing the already running sprayer button would then shut it off unless the diverter wasn't fully closing and some was trickling out the spout, too, then that jar may dislodge it.

I'd call Delta.

Caudill

Reaction score
Listed below is the video showing the issue with my faucet. Let me know if you have any feedback or suggestions.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yeah, unscrew the sprayer head and turn on the faucet. Water should come out of the sprayer hose and not the faucet. Turn off the faucet. Try blocking the spray hose outlet with your thumb. Turn the faucet on. See if you can hold it tight. Water should come out of the faucet. If all this works right, then replace the sprayer head or the whole sprayer head-and-hose unit. It's sometimes hard to find an exact matching head for the threads on the hose. If you can't, you can replace the head (there's usually a little clip in the piece that provides the threads onto which you screw the head; remove that and it's relatively-easy to replace the head unit on the hose), or just buy the unit with hose attached, which is easy to clip onto the faucet. Plenty of videos out there to show how to replace it, but come back if you can't find one.

Don't skimp. Get a Delta head or head-and-hose. Available at most hardware stores, plumbing supply places, HD, Lowe's, etc.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
First, I have never seen a sprayer, other than old Chicago Faucet ones, the flow without the button being pushed, and NONE that shut the spray off when it is pushed. It operates like the spray and spout have been interchanged, but that does not explain why the sprayer is running without pushing the button.

Caudill

Reaction score
I had my friend who is a plumber come look at the faucet, turns out it was just a bad sprayer head. We replaced it with a brand new one and it works fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks