Recurring air lock in one zone

Users who are viewing this thread

Watson524

Reaction score
Hi all,

We have a 12 year old house with a Weil McLain Gold boiler. 5 zones (one to hot water tank, one to garage, one to main floor, one to 3 bedrooms and a guest bath upstairs and one to master bedroom/bath/closet). The master bedroom one is an issue. Pretty consistently, the first cold spell and sometimes once after that over the winter, the zone air locks. There's 4 baseboard radiators in all in this zone. It's a long run in that it's up on the second floor, but not the longest run in the house since it's right above the boiler area and given the rest of the second floor is all over the width of the house, that has to be the longest. We notice the air lock because it gets cold in the zone. Turn up the heat, nothing circulates. We've gotten good at turning the valves on the other zones to isolate this one, bleeding it out (tho not bursts of air generally come out tho sometimes you get low flow) and then raising the pressure in the boiler a bit to push water through to fix it. The air check valve on the boiler is open as is the one right above the expansion tank which is on the main trunk coming out of the boiler where water would be hotest (tho it's shoved right up against a floor joist and probably should have been moved an inch but it is in fact loose and not closed down). There are no bleeders on any of our baseboards (probably a bad design/install idea).

Two nites ago it was locked, we got it unlocked and came home last nite, same thing. Got it unlocked again so we'll see what tonite brings. My suspicion is maybe we didn't get it all bled out the first time and we will be ok now but.... any idea what the heck could be causing this? It's the only zone with this issue. I was wondering if adding an air check valve in the return line down in the basement where it goes from the front of the house to the back might help? It's really the only open access I have to this zone at this point.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Watson524

Reaction score
dumb question but if we put one right where the pipe comes up through the floor at the first radiator in the loop (or any of them) doesn't water leak out a bit too behind any air? or strictly air? not even sure how i'd get one on at this point given the pipe doesn't have a lot of clearance before it hits the fins coming once it's above the floor.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks