Reaction score

Attachments

• Barb_FNPT.jpg
    Barb_FNPT.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 503

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
We may be missing some information here. Typically, you would not attach the water pipes directly to the faucets by any method. Standard procedure would be to run your pex up into the cabinet and install a shut-off. Then you would run an off the rack riser up to the faucet from there. The connection to the faucet would be half-inch iron pipe thread, and the connection to the shut-off, (called a stop), would be either 1/2 or 3/8 compression.
Laundry boxes have a non-tapered thread on their valves, but faucets nearly always have a tapered thread in this part of the world. I'm always eager to learn, so straighten me out if I'm wrong.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Faucets are straight threads here. On a manifold system, they may run the PEX right to the faucet. Where you buy your brand of PEX, they will also have the faucet adapters.
I still prefer having a shutoff at the location of the sink, but then maybe I just like having them handy.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Faucets are straight threads here. On a manifold system, they may run the PEX right to the faucet. Where you buy your brand of PEX, they will also have the faucet adapters.
I still prefer having a shutoff at the location of the sink, but then maybe I just like having them handy.
That's good information, Terry. Thanks. Hold still and technology will run off and leave you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Tapered pipe threads need either tape or pipe dope to seal. A straight thread relies on a washer or o-ring, or some other gasket that gets compressed once you tighten it (like the fitting used on a common garden hose). You cannot seal, at least reliably, straight threads with pipe dope or tape - there's nothing to compress it to make a proper seal like there is in a tapered pipe connection.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Hold still and technology will run off and leave you.

Don't be the first to adopt new technology, nor the last to do it either, is a good philosophy to live by.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'll have to walk that back. Never in my life gave it a minute's thought. I knew it was iron pipe thread but it should have been obvious that it sealed with a gasket when you screw the supply tube on to the valve. Slap my fanny and call me Sarah. Or not.

leak_chaser

Reaction score
The reason I did not want to use a regular PEX to faucet adapter is because they are plastic (at least the ones available here). We all know not to use plastic female adapters if we can help it.

Regarding matching the straight and tapered threads, in theory they should tighten up for a short distance (a thread or two), unless they bottom out first. May be enough for tape/compound to seal up. But I don't know how reliable that would be.

index.php

Thanks.

Attachments

• Straight2Tapered.jpg
    Straight2Tapered.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 3,716

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but I would be surprised if the non-tapered threads have the same pitch (threads per inch) as NPT threads.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks