When the company you work for is going down hill

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Been there, done that, albeit it was not plumbing related but rather, information technology. Boss wanted to halve my pay and double my workload. I quit and went freelance for a few of my former clients. Halved my workload and doubled my pay.

At the time I was concerned that the owner was intending to file for bankruptcy. Boss wanted me to exact payment from the customer in advance instead of after the job was done.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hope the slurpee joke didn't piss you off. I've been self-employed for the last ten years, plumbing for 25. I had fourteen jobs before that. Maybe I can fill you in tonight. Don't have time for a trip down memory lane right now, but I'll help if I can.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; . Start on doing business. Less hassle and stress. You manage you're time.

You are joking, right? Or you have NEVER operated your own business. The OWNER has, and handles, the hassle and stress. The employee just does the work and collects his paycheck. Which is why, after running a company for 16 years, I said I would NEVER open my own company, and only did it when circumstances forced me to do it. But, then, I had only worked for 2 companies in 20 years before I did it.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had one job where the company was going downhill. Got tired of being paid to stand around (for years, off and on), so I went to the big boss and told him I'd found a job closer to home doing something I liked doing. Which was true.
On another job, I kept getting bad vibes from customers. Figured out the company had a reputation for doing bad work. Boss would rather I slop through a job and get a check as soon as possible, then go back a fix the mess later. Not me; couldn't do it. Better to take a little more time and never have to go back. I quit by phone. Told him I wanted to try something else.
Third job I quit, the boss had been promoted one time too many. I really liked the guy, but his nerves had gone bad and he made things tough on everybody. After a year, my nerves started getting a bit frayed also, so I called in and asked to take my vacation and not come back. He thought it the best thing to do.
The other dozen jobs I left because the work ran out or broke up with my girlfriend, or moved to a new town, etc.
I don't have a clue about the dynamics of your relationship with your current boss. It could be that he's hard to approach or you're totally non-confrontational, or both. If you don't think you can gallop off on your unicorn in a cloud of pixie dust, just call it in and go get another job. It's your life.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Be Brave to stand up on your own decisions. Pass your resignation letter and I suggest if you do have some savings. Start on doing business. Less hassle and stress. You manage you're time. ;)
Self-employment works for me, but only because my current wife has experience running a business. Too much work there for one person. Nice goal if you don't like working for the other fellow, but it's much more work.

Last edited:

Bluebinky

Reaction score
You probably know this, but try to find another job before you quit. Usually it's easier. Also, don't bad mouth the old company when interviewing for a new one -- no matter how bad it is. Try not to burn any bridges. When you quit, just say you got a better offer and move on.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
After putting in over 23 years working for other well & pump companies including my fathers, I started my own in November 2009.

If you ask me, I'll tell you that it's the absolute best thing I ever did career wise. Nothing beats going out, solving the problem and getting paid while the customer sings your praises to the neighbors.

My advise, be sure you get your master license, save your money and when your employer goes out, be in a position pick up his phone number, accounts and possibly some of his equipment.

Bill Shack

30years plumbing 10years plumbing inspector
Reaction score
Is there a plumbers union in your area that controls pay and conditions ? From what i hear from a lot of other plumbers the unions are not very strong in many parts of north america. I guess that i am very lucky to be in a part where you must be unionized and have a plumber license to do any plumbing work.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
New York, Chicago, and San Francisco, for examples they almost have to "afford it" because that is almost the only ones available. But being in a union is no guarantee that your working conditions are going to be "good".

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is there a plumbers union in your area that controls pay and conditions ? From what i hear from a lot of other plumbers the unions are not very strong in many parts of north america. I guess that i am very lucky to be in a part where you must be unionized and have a plumber license to do any plumbing work.
I did some work for a retired union plumber one time. Only union plumber I ever met, retired from up north. He watched me work for about an hour then said " You're a mechanic". What does that mean in your world, Bill?

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
What I should have said is, even though Ct is very union friendly, most homeowners probably wouldn't pay union rates for a plumber.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like terms like, "Very workman like"
Nobody has ever called me a rocket scientist, but if they do, I will have to assume they mean it. either that, or I will have to break their face.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I did some work for a retired union plumber one time. Only union plumber I ever met, retired from up north. He watched me work for about an hour then said " You're a mechanic". What does that mean in your world, Bill?

Being a retired union plumer, he probably never had seen anyone actually work as hard as you did
and finish a complete job without expecting or stopping stopping for 20 minutes for a smoke or coffe break....

you probably made him winded watching you work.....

as far as bad jobs, I worked for a solar company in Denver a long time ago and I
knew it was time to leave when I had to go to the bosses house and wake him out of a
drunk every morning for about 2 weeks..... Waited for my last check and got the hell out

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When I moved to Phoenix, the union did everything it could to avoid taking me in, and tried very hard to run me out of town and back to Chicago. One of their journeymen asked why they did not like Chicago plumbers and was told, "They think they are the best plumbers in the country", to which he replied, "But they are".

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I like terms like, "Very workman like"
Nobody has ever called me a rocket scientist, but if they do, I will have to assume they mean it. either that, or I will have to break their face.

I would not mind being called names again.

Looks like the good jobs are going to be Rocket Motors for Warheads.

You would not even believe some of the plumbing on some of those motors. Way cool.

Nothing ever comes out good to just up and quit. A leave of absents may be a better choice. Give you time to cool off, and lets the boss know that he really needs you. If he don't need you he can fire you.

Good Luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks