Can I do this since it seems I'm already not up to code anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

J Blow

Reaction score
So, I currently have a 1.5" drain below concrete level that was clearly meant to be for a tub. It's in a wooden box all ready to go - except that I'd really like a shower there instead of a tub. It has a vent pipe a few inches away. Across the way is a 2" drain that's placed for a lav and is very likely coming off the toilet line - so wet vent.

Since it's already not up to code using the 1.5 for shower, can I move the double sink vanity to where the shower goes and then the shower to the 2 inch line that's downline from the toilet. I'd have to dig it out of course and then add a vent. I know the double sinks should be on 2 inch line but would then be on the 1.5? Is any of this really a functional problem as you guys see it. I don't think the sinks would be an issue on the smaller line but more wondering about the wet vent system.

Thoughts?

Asktom

Reaction score
If you aren't concerned about codes you can do anything you want as long as you don't get caught and aren't worried about how well it works.

J Blow

Reaction score
I thought about not responding to that obvious reply but then figured I better at least be sure I'm clear about what I'm asking. I thought maybe the sentence "Is any of this really a functional problem as you guys see it" would indicate that I'm both 'worried about how well it works' and questioning potential issues down the road.

Anyway, rephrased - I'm not all that worried about a dual sink on a 1.5" line as I don't think two sinks will be used together much anyway...or even one all that often. I'm more worried about the shower being on the toilet line with the wet vent and what, if anything differently, needs to be done. I'm unfamiliar with all this which is exactly why I was asking in the first place. I'd love for things to all be up to code but with two items needing a 2 inch lines and only one available, it doesn't seem like it will get there very easily.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The shower will work on 1.5", not code but it will work.
If you dig back further to the vent, you will find 2" there. The tub uses a 1.5 trap and arm, but requires 2" before the vent.

J Blow

Reaction score
Sounds like this might fix both my problems as long as it's fine to add the shower on the wet vent toilet line. I'll have to bust concrete since I'll have the place where the tub was supposed to go and then the new place, though. Here is a picture of where the 1.5 is so I think the 2 would be really close to the box based on your explanation.

Man...why wouldn't they just use the 2 all the way. uggh.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3C6blbcdgaqeGZuamZObWQ1VFE/edit?usp=sharing

J Blow

Reaction score
Awesome. When I put the shower on the other 2 inch line (after I dig it out) do I just add a vent in a similar location to this one?

BTW, you should charge for this advice service. It would be worth it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The double lav will need to be vented, as will the shower. If the toilet is wet vented by the 2", then you will continue on with 2"
If you click on the ads, that's plenty good enough. :)

J Blow

Reaction score
Will do. Didn't know that. Probably going to need to get a room at the Holiday Inn anyway when I screw up this plumbing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks