Sunken Tub removal ??? How to

Users who are viewing this thread

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
sunken-tub-green.jpg

We're having a hard time getting in and out of this tub.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
It looks like an acrylic one RSCB . Shouldn't be that heavy ..... if it has a motor attached to it , it may be heavier -- whirlpool or bubble bath -- .

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Three to four hundred pounds if it's cast iron. I think hj just lifts them out, and he's in his 80's

Why is is coming out? Let me think............I've never like the idea of taking a soaking bath with my eyes at floor level. There's too much I can look at, like when did I last mop this floor? :)
I like sitting higher if anything. Maybe a nice view out the window. I did one installation on the waterfront of Kirkland where the tub was pointed toward the lake. The designer drew the tub looking away from the view, but when she walked in, she realized her mistake. Just one of the many design flaws I had to work around. I would plumb to her plan, then she would see why I thought it would be a mistake, and then she would have me move the plumbing. Patting herself on the back the entire time. And I kept billing her for doing things twice.

If it's cast iron, it's going to be a bear. Are you reinstalling it? If not, I like to take them out in sections.

sledge3.gif

A helper with a sledge hammer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Three to four hundred pounds if it's cast iron. I think hj just lifts them out, and he's in his 80's

I haven't done one of those since my 60s, but when i did, I raised the sloping end up, slid a 2x4 under it, the pivoted the other end up and did the same there. Then it was just a matter of sliding it out. This assumes there is a ledge around it, not set into the walls.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If I were to break that out, I would install some plywood below it to catch anything that dropped.

I have never tried cutting a cast iron tub out. Good luck on that one. :)
It could maybe be lifted. I wouldn't want to be in charge of the medical for anyone trying though.
Loss of work from lifting? I don't think so.

How much is a sheet of plywood?

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
If I were to break that out, I would install some plywood below it to catch anything that dropped.

I have never tried cutting a cast iron tub out. Good luck on that one. :)
It could maybe be lifted. I wouldn't want to be in charge of the medical for anyone trying though.
Loss of work from lifting? I don't think so.

How much is a sheet of plywood?
Thx terry for input.....

Ok so there it is. Rather than jacking it up and out, you would protect slab below and break it with sledge hammer into pieces .... Is what I'm gathering....

the plumber and homeowner and I are tasked to do it as a team together. No workers .....I have no Helper!!

I like the jacking approach first .....

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Primal_pickaxe_detail.png

Pick Axe

ENOUGH SAID. I use my dads.
Watch for flying debris. get cut every time I demo one of the old cast tubs.

Once you bust up a tub you will never carry another out again in one piece....​

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
quote; Three to four hundred pounds if it's cast iron. I think hj just lifts them out, and he's in his 80's

I haven't done one of those since my 60s, but when i did, I raised the sloping end up, slid a 2x4 under it, the pivoted the other end up and did the same there. Then it was just a matter of sliding it out. This assumes there is a ledge around it, not set into the walls.

Thx Hj in your 60's .... What???

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When I use a sledge, I first cover the tub in plastic to prevent schrapnel. When you hit the tub, it's flying bits of glass. Eye protection is a must. Cover the tub first to contain that. And the hammer can bounce back at you. You have to be aware of where your legs are if the hammer bounces back.

Reach4

Reaction score
Some youtube videos...

This one is made to discuss tub removal. First swing of the sledge hammer at about 8:15:

I think this guy had done it before:

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't think any of those guys have ever done it before.
For starters, cover the darn thing before you start sending sharp shards of glass everywhere. I cring watching those guys. :(

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Plastic. That's a good tip. Last time I took a leg wound. A nice 1" chunk buried deep into my calf.

Don't wear shorts like I did.... lol

I've never covered them. Done about 4-6 this way. I have always got cut.

I'll try Terry's way next.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
This is the cats ass. If only it was that easy....

Fy92OwW.jpg

Hidden escape route under the tub....

Or maybe a real large dirty magazine storage spot.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; How about one of these;

Actually, how about SEVERAL of those. I would suggest he not swing the hammer over his head if the end is going to fall off and he doesn't know about wedges. I would have had THAT tub out of the recess in a lot less time than they took, and I would NOT have had any cast iron or enamel to sweep up.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
quote; How about one of these;

Actually, how about SEVERAL of those. I would suggest he not swing the hammer over his head if the end is going to fall off and he doesn't know about wedges. I would have had THAT tub out of the recess in a lot less time than they took, and I would NOT have had any cast iron or enamel to sweep up.

Yes I agree it may take a few, but the price is right. They work good for a little while.

A real blade will set you back about $100. Not bad if you do a lot of cutting.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
One advantage of taking a tub out in one piece is that if you are replacing it, all you have to do is reverse the steps to get it in. Not possible when all you have is a bunch of cast iron chips.

John; I would have removed the glass doors before removing the tub.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
This baby came out easy, After I doubted my plumber we went ahead and used a turbo diamond blade, cut in 2 and manhandled it.

Indeed my first cast iron "RECESSED" tub removal.

That thing was floating on 3 walls of piss poor 2x4 ledgers and a couple 2x cripplers. but mainly bearing on the cut and doubled rim joists under the front entry span for over 30+ years.......miraculous.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
LOL.... Miraculous.

I once saw a whole bedroom supported by a rotten 2"x4" and a rotten deck board. For the life of me I could not imagine how it stayed up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks