Help with 10" bowl height purchase recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

KirgoM

Reaction score
I have to replace an ancient toilet (tank cracked, but has unmatchable two-bolt design, so can find no replacement that will attach). Since we were designed to squat, for long-term health reasons I'd like to get a 10" bowl height replacement for the bowl. [The site's Search function was useless to see if this has already been asked, as it would not use either "10" or "ten" because they were too common.]

This toilet would be going in a place with a standard 12" rough-in, so at least a tad more common than it might otherwise be.

Other things I'd like: Elongated bowl. Dual flush if possible. I do NOT want a 'sani-gloss finish' (or whatever it is called, where a toxic substance is baked onto the surface to prevent things sticking or staining).

As much as possible I'd prefer American Standard, or I've heard Toto's are often good (I guess if they have Double Cyclone flush design), but I want to stay away from Kohler, unless they have improved greatly recently (I've read some very negative reviews of their toilets).

Given that I was medically retired (significant brain injury while still in school), my income is not terribly high, so if at all possible closer to a $300 max, but will consider up to $400 if I have to.

Thank you for any help that can be given for this.

Reach4

Reaction score
American Standard Baby Devoro is the right height, but is not elongated. It is sold mainly for use by children.
You might find some ideas if you search for squat toilet buy in your favorite search engine. One idea is a short platform that fits around a common toilet to raise your feet. For your desired 10 inch height, you could maybe get a 4 inch high platform built.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Baby toilets are not only NOT elongated, well Crane does make one, but the bowls are sized for children, so even the elongated one is smaller than a conventional toilet.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Where do you get the idea that there is a toxic finish in any bowl?

I think the suggestion to have a raised foot rest is the best. They make them for just that purpose.

KirgoM

Reaction score
Thanks all.

I've seen references to 10" high adult toilets on assorted sites discussing toilet heights available. Not interested in a squat toilet, too much effort involved for immediate after-use cleaning (and impractical for male urination - splashing).

Not sure where it was that I read about the toxic nature of the sani-finish (or whatever it is called) but anything that is toxic to microbes is also toxic to humans. I am chemically sensitive from working in a factory where - before I learned anything about them - they encouraged us to basically wash our hands and clean things with solvents along the lines of benzene, which are neurotoxic. My lungs react asthmatically to most chemicals now, and my skin reacts when around such things (e.g. formaldehyde in newer carpeting). And with me having a significant head injury (ended both my education and my career before it could fully start), I cannot afford to have anything with the possibility of further toxicity around me. Even if it isn't affecting my brain, it will affect my body but I won't be aware enough to figure out what it is (or it will take me years to do so).

Having been to Europe (in the early 80s) I've experienced a 10" high seat, and it was more comfortable overall. It is odd that 10" high toilet sizes are described by assorted U.S. based websites discussing "deciding which toilet is right for you" (along with the higher so-called 'comfort height' 16-18" ones) if the 10" ones aren't common enough to actually exist in the States.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is plenty of discussion about 10" rough toilets on the Internet.
That's the distance between the center of the floor drain and the wall.

Here is a toilet is for children.
10-1/4" high bowl.

as_10_child_toilet.gif

The center of the bolts to the end of the seat is 15-1/5"

A standard round seat is 16-7/8" from center of bolt to end of seat.

Last edited:

KirgoM

Reaction score
Thank you.

I went back through my browser history to the places I'd thought I'd seen them, and re-opened the pages. I had seen 10" toilet heights, but they were NOT marked as 'adult size' (though they also were not marked as 'for children', I simply didn't know that such things - permanent fixtures - were made for a person size that is outgrown). Between the head injury confusion (that often accompanies being overwhelmed, like with trying to narrow down hundreds of options to one selection) and the lack of awareness of what standard seat-sizes were (e.g. your "center of the bolts to the end of the seat" being small), I apparently had been seeing child toilets.

Thank you for the clarification. I would have wasted a LOT of mental energy (possibly setting off seizure activity) if I continued stressing about finding something that simply does not exist.

Apologies to anyone who's time I've wasted with this.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have to understand that there are two possibilities. First, since few people would need, or want one, the manufacturers would simply not produce one. And second, IF they did make one, given the small demand for it, the production costs per unit would be quite high, therefore the product would be very expensive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks