Please check over my work

Users who are viewing this thread

jasvid

Reaction score
Hi,

I had a leak in my cast iron sewer pipe in my basement and I removed some of the old pipe/floor drain and replaced it with PVC. I did this rather quick to restore services to my house - please let me know if I messed up in any way. Thanks!
plumbing 001.JPG

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The sanitary tee needs to be either a combo or wye and 1/8th bend and the floor drain needs a vent

jasvid

Reaction score
10-4 on the floor drain vent.

The problem with using a Y at the base is the I don't have enough clearance between the cast iron pipe and the vertical stack. If I install the Y and a 1/8 bend to get from vertical to horizontal, I don't have enough room for fitting before I run into cast iron. Not sure if I am describing correctly. Any other options here?

Also the Tee drains a little water into floor drain trap - keeping the trap filled in case of evaporation - how else does the trap get filled?

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
"Also the Tee drains a little water into floor drain trap - keeping the trap filled in case of evaporation - how else does the trap get filled?"

I'm sorry, that's about the worst excuse I've heard for a reason to plumb it wrong. :)

Pick up a no-hub combo and use a mission no-hub coupling. If the old cast is 4-1/8" OD, you will need a no-hub x copper coupling there. If it's something like 4-3/8", then a standard no-hub.
A floor drain requires a trap primer now. They make a coupling with a 1/2" inlet for a buried supply line to it.
The no-hub combo requires less space to install with.

jasvid

Reaction score
Terry,

That really isn't my excuse for wrong plumbing (it didn't even occur to me at the time) - my excuse is ignorance and wanting to get something in place asap.

I will try the no-hub combo and no-hub coupling and see how that fits. Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Also the Tee drains a little water into floor drain trap -

THAT is exactly why it is the wrong fitting. Without the 'sweep' it creates "splashback".

jasvid

Reaction score
I came here for expert help and assistance and I am sure glad I did! Thanks for all help!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I came here for expert help and assistance and I am sure glad I did!

Usually when someone starts a sentence with those words, the next ones are, "but you told me I could not do it my way." OR, "all you did was say I should call a professional because I didn't know what I was doing." Good to hear we were able to help you. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Themp

Reaction score
Never heard of a trap primer till now. Did a Google search and hit this other alternative. Is it any good and would it be accepted under code?

http://www.trapguard.com/

I have a guest bath room that has a tub and sink that never get used any more. I do run water thru them when I think of it. When are trap primers required, just basement drains?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; When are trap primers required, just basement drains?

On ANY drain that does not get a frequent flow of water. That sealer is "code approved" but my experience with any plastic device that functions be flexing, is that it warps over time and either does not open or stays open continaully.

Themp

Reaction score
It seems trap primers waste water. So, I live in a city that for my water bill has fees on every thing imaginable. Storm run off, watershed protection, water infrastructure charge, waste water admin along with usage, waste water infrastructure charge, recycling, solid waste, and finally water usage. I wrote a letter to the editor of our local newspaper that we needed a fee for the rain water that goes down the vent pipes on the top of the roofs as this has to be processed with the sewage. And larger homes would have more vent pipes and thus the fee would be based on that. But now I see that the vent pipes could be used to direct rain water to the the traps. Might not work in arid areas, but in most it would work. And air conditioning water could be diverted to the traps also. Has to be a better way....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks