Installing Glass Tile over Dimensional Lumber

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Didn't want to install the glass tile over the prep work so far with the hollow strip. Looked for an old bag of white thin-set and found nothing. All grey.

Grabbed the Glass Block Mortar from Mapei I used to set the blocks and mixed it thin like thin-set with some old Grani Rapid Liquid. The liquid to old to use on a clients home but good enough I hope to make the Glass block mortar stick better the Ardex X32 scratch coat.

Good thing there the only rule about installing glass tile over dimensional lumber is there is no rules because it's not allowed. Lets hope the tile stays put. I'll look out in the shop for some white setting materials tomorrow. Might be grey 254 if I don't find something in white....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The issue isn't the mortar sticking to the prep work, it's that the substrate will move much more than the mortar is designed to handle...again, good luck. There's a reason why nobody allows bonding tile directly to any dimensional lumber.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Try what? The spray, or the gel..... ???

DiegoMello do you sell any Swing Bars that could be used in a shower? I have been thinking one of these might be a nice transfer option for a large barrier free shower build I'm designing....

Are any Swing bars designed to get wet?

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
More tile over Lumber action totally not recommended.......... Pretty neat little toilet paper/magazine holder for the longer stints at the commode. Love these matte finish period vintage hex tiles.......

end table tundra finish works.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks