1929 House updating Bath plumbing layout

Users who are viewing this thread

MittenDoodle

Reaction score
Have a 5' x 10' bath that I have demo because shower pan licked. I believe I have 4" CI drain and vent running thru the gutted bath. Photoshop makes everything possible but will it can the new system pass inspection.

So here is the existing CI layout. 2014-09-22 13.51.18.jpg 2014-09-22 13.52.02.jpg

So what I am proposing is to cut into CI in the back high up and put a Femco Cast to PVC come down the wall elbow into a horizontal 4" x 4" x 2" facing to the right similar to the fitting that is now drain for the bath tube that has been removed - reduce the 2 wye branch to 1 1/2 and over and up 18" for first lav sink sub out, couple another 4"x4"x2" wye going left to reduce 2 wye branch to 1 1/2 and go up 18" for second lav sink. traveling down the 4" PVC line and add a 4" x "4"x 3" left facing branch to pick up new 3 inch PVC with 45 Deg bend coming off and into a elbow and toilet flange. Go about 5" 6" inches and add a 4"x4"x2" Wye on the left with getting a 2" p-trap feed from the shower drain at floor level assuming 1/4" drop from shower pan which is being installed.

After the wye would tie everything into 4" cast that is dropping down in the wall and going to basement. The main sewer line into the sewer run that has one toilet and Lav and Kitchen sink.

I believe the 4" veritical stack is the vent to each of the horizontal branches. The current drain/vent is running down the bath wall coming from the back of the bath into a elbow than into a wye with 2 inch branch into p-trap bath drain. From there 4" CI runs back horizontal under bath floor into a 4"x4"2 left facing wye that takes in an old LAV and from the same main branch a 4 x 4 x 3 wye on the right has Toilet Flange and main travels about 3" ft into a horizontal left facing wye picking up a 2' p trap shower line.

I've attached a existing line and proposed line.
existing and proposed pipe diagram.jpg
Would enjoy under standing if I have this vented correctly. I need to add some sister 2 x 10 to area by shower where water rot took it toll. Existing lav line is 2 inch and crossess 2 joints that have been notched. Proposing to crosses only 1 with additional notching to allow 3" to drop into wye fitting for toilet flange at 1/4" drop to move to the left side of the room.

Please comment or let me know if I am all washed up. I've asked a few folks and they have said that this works.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As you have it drawn NOTHING is vented except the toilets. The old system was installed in the days of lead waste lines and "S" traps, therefore you cannot just "duplicate" what you now have.

MittenDoodle

Reaction score
dwv_b2.jpg
[/QUOTE]
For starters, nothing can enter the 4" vent.

Everything on the floor above must enter below the lowest first floor toilet.

dwv_b2.jpg
How interesting right now all branches on 2nd floor run into a 4" CI drain that is vented up through the roof. Are u saying this has been wrong since it was installed in 1929. What i think your saying is now everything needs to connect to a seperate vent line and then to a drain line below th
As you have it drawn NOTHING is vented except the toilets. The old system was installed in the days of lead waste lines and "S" traps, therefore you cannot just "duplicate" what you now have.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We see lots of old stuff that wasn't done right.
Over the years, inspectors, homeowner's and plumbers have learned a lot.
So yes, nobody does it like they did in 1929. We know better now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks